Post # 1
- Wedding: May 2011 - Bartram's Garden
If you were still single and dating, what traits/characteristics/habits would turn you off so much that you wouldn’t give a guy a shot?
Here are mine. I’d never date a guy who…
- Didn’t read books
- Disliked animals
- Was racist, sexist, or homophobic
- Did any hard drugs
- Was too into sports
- Wasn’t employed, self-sufficient and responsible (I don’t need a rich man, but I need a man who can make it on his own)
- Was rude to waiters and waitresses
- Was a bad kisser (unless there was potential to teach him how to improve)
I’m sure there are more that I can’t think of right now.
Post # 3
I could never date a guy who:
didn’t want kids
wasn’t ambitious–he should want to be successful, whether that means money, prestige, etc.,
was unheathily overweight/obese–I have enough body issues of my own and could not handle dating someone at an unhealthy weight (it’s shallow, I know…)
lived off fast food–I can’t stand fast food, it grosses me out
ditto @danadelphia on the racist/homophobic/sexist, didn’t read, and into hard drugs–all dealbreakers for me as well!
Post # 4
Hrm. I once had a crazy listing of things, and was told I needed to be less picky/lower my standards… Right. He’d lose if he:
- Wasn’t a nerd of some sort, gamer/techie preferred (because seriously, he needs to get my techno-geekery. Madden does *not* count.)
- Disliked fuzzies/scalies/flappies
- Was racist/sexist/homophobic (because seriously, the only way I’d get it worse is if I were a guy)
- Was a jerk (duh?)
- Did drugs/drank/smoked heavily/regularly
- Couldn’t spell/used crazy IM speak (peeve!)
- Bought into the “whitey keeps me down” so “education makes you a sellout” and I’m a “hardcore gangsta, yo” business. (Yes, there is racism. No, it does not give you a free pass to not even try. You grew up in an area more suburban than I did, why are you trying to act like you’re so tough? I have bullet holes in my bathroom window, FFS.)
- Hit on me by waddling up and mumbling. (You’re so cocksure to buy into the urban-ghetto business, but you can’t enunciate. Bugger off!)
- Used waaay too much slang/not-English. (I know our skin matches, but that doesn’t mean I automatically understand what is coming out of your mouth. If English isn’t your first language, no problem. If it is, big problem.)
- Wore waaay too much cologne/body spray (Ew!)
- Was possessive. (Yes, I am awesome. No, you can’t keep me on a tether.)
- Had slept with anyone I knew (Most everyone from where I grew up knows each other…I don’t need the world in my business.)
- Wasn’t open minded! (Because I’m going to spend time with you, you’d better be willing to at least indulge my fancies)
Post # 5
wow. I never created a list of things, but most of what Hilsy85 said were things that I thought about.
Post # 6
Ditto on the racism, hard drugs etc.
Also, I could never be with someone who:
– was a smoker
– didn’t have a job/clear vision of what he wanted in life and was working towards it
– was TOO focused on job (I work to finance my life; work is not my life. I need someone who feels the same).
– was rude to me, my friends, or my family
– wasn’t just a little bit weird/quirky
– didn’t love dogs, and animals in general
– didn’t have some kind of hobby (I think me-time is important in a relationship)
– drank too much (to me too much = drunk more than a few times/year)
Post # 7
I’d never be with someone who wasn’t open minded. About race, religion, ethnicity, life choices, just anything.
Yeah, hard drugs are out too. And alcoholics/addicts – I have enough of my own baggage without taking on theirs as well.
Wow, I didn’t mean to sound that harsh….
Post # 8
I never made a list. Never been on a blind date either so that might be why. I already knew the people I went on a date with. But I agree with you ladies on a lot of dealbreakers.
Post # 9
I never consciously made a list, but these would be on it if there had been one:
-Smoking/any illegal drug use/addiction to other unhealthy vices (including WoW and porn)
-Mood disorders and mental illness
-Arrogance or aggressiveness
-Irresponsible or self-insufficient
Post # 10
Ive never made a list but I guess the biggest thing was I could never be with a person that didnt get along with my family and friends.