(Closed) What can you plan without a budget

posted 8 years ago in Money
Post # 3
4001 posts
Honey bee
  • Wedding: June 2010

I literally couldn’t do anything without a budget!  I just didn’t want to put a deposit on a package that ended up being too much, or buying something I liked not knowing if I might need to spend that money elsewhere.  My advice is to just wait til you have a budget. 

Post # 4
18644 posts
Honey Beekeeper
  • Wedding: June 2009

I really don’t think you can plan anything without the budget since it all depends on the budget!

Post # 5
190 posts
Blushing bee
  • Wedding: October 2010

I think the early stages are a great time to talk about what your priorities are ’cause that can help you shape the budget & your choices. If you won’t budge on having a large guest list, but don’t care that much about decor or if you don’t care about a sit down dinner but want awesome flowers & venue, etc…

In the early stages, it seems like the choices are endless, but even if you have a huge budget, you can’t have everything. You have a ton of choices to make and the early ones (venue, catering, music, etc) are the ones that are the hardest to change later on. By setting your priorities and then making a loose general budget that can help you make the best choices on those big contracted expenses

Post # 6
16 posts
  • Wedding: May 2010

You can start reading reviews for things like photographers and bakeries in your area. You can start looking for pictures of flowers you like and cake styles you like. You can decide on the general style of your wedding- formal, informal, festive, romantic, etc. You can get ideas of what you might like to do with your hair and set up appointments with birdal salons in advance so that when you do know your budget, you are all ready to start looking for a dress.

Post # 7
9056 posts
Buzzing Beekeeper
  • Wedding: June 2010

I think you can start working on the guest list sort of.  We did our “dream” guest list before we made our budget, and then we were able to cut it down to the minimum we’d be happy with, and how much we thought it would cost to host X many people.

Post # 8
1246 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: June 2010

we actually never set a budget, we just took things as they came…

Post # 9
1927 posts
Buzzing bee

I actually think there is a fair amount you can work on before a definite budget is set.  Lots of parts of the wedding don’t require money… particularly the ceremony details.  Figure out your vows, the ceremony outline, what readings you want to have done, what music you want for the processional and recessional.  The ceremony is after all the most important part of the day.

Post # 10
21 posts

same here.  we just set priorities for things i didn’t want to compromise much on..

such as photography and DJ, and paid for those items first.. but i do have to say it made the rest of my planning a bit difficult because we were tight everywhere else.

Post # 11
3125 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: December 2009

Why not just assume low, and be pleasantly surprised if the budget is higher? Because you KNOW that mystery little expenses will come up down the line, and it’d be nice to not have to stress over them.

Post # 12
814 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: June 2010

i had to redo everything i planned without a BUDGET!

Post # 13
1940 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: July 2010

You can put together a tentative guest list.  I am so glad we did this at the beginning because then after we figured out the budget we knew how much we could spend per person at the reception.

Post # 14
972 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: August 2010

I 100% agree with Melissabegins. Assume a budget of at least 70% of what you think you guys will come up with and BELIEVE me there will be incidentals that will add up to the remaining 30% pretty quickly. You can research, it doesn’t hurt to start getting quotes from potential vendors. My trick to find appropriate vendors was get the very best that I thought would be wayyy over our budget and the average. You will be pleasantly surprised or maybe unpleasantly shocked but it will give you an idea of what an average wedding goes for around your area.

Post # 15
1 posts
  • Wedding: September 2011

GUEST LIST!  I think that car really lend to setting your budget/venue/etc 🙂

Post # 16
2186 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: September 2010

we never actually set a budget, we paid for things as they came up and after we contracted folks we set up savings plans for things we would be paying come wedding day. we did however know how much we were willing to pay as in “that is to friggin expensive! are you kidding me?” for certain things…

but we dont have an overall budget at all. (now we kinda do with everything reserved etc. since we know how much we are paying but it was hindsight)

The topic ‘What can you plan without a budget’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors