(Closed) what comes 1st?

posted 9 years ago in Names
Post # 3
199 posts
Blushing bee
  • Wedding: May 2009

From what I have gathered, in California, you get your marrieage license then you get married and in two week you get the certificate that’s when you start changing your name.

Post # 4
153 posts
Blushing bee

You need to get a marriage license before your wedding.  Different states have different requirements, so check yours for specific details.

Changing your name is a different procedure that requires proof of marriage (marriage certificate).  Mrs. Penguin posted an option if it’s too overwhelming for you:  http://www.weddingbee.com/2008/10/24/how-to-change-your-name/.


Post # 5
2004 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: November 2008

A lot depends on what state you live in (and where you’ll be getting married). What state(s) do you have?

The marriage license you get before the wedding. It certifies that you’ve been legally cleared to marry one another—which means that you showed up and swore to someone of legal standing that you are able to marry (that you are not married to anyone else, and if you were, to show your divorce certificates or certificates of death if they died; that you are marrying willingly/not under duress; and that you are not close blood relatives, like brother and sister). Depending on the state, the license is good immediately or after a waiting period of about three days. Once effective, some are good forever and others expire (from 30 days to 90 days after issue are some typical periods). So without a license your wedding ceremony will not be legally binding.

At your marriage, your officiant and/or you have to sign the license to show your marriage occurred, and then it is mailed to the county court office. A few weeks later, your marriage has been put on the books and they send you a marriage certificate. This is your proof of marriage.

Changing your name cannot occur until after the marriage and is a totally separate procedure, as it is neither obligatory nor automatic. You must have your marriage certificate (not the license—which just shows that you are eligible to marry) to do this, so you will have to wait at least a few weeks after the ceremony to begin the process. The wiki on changing your name is quite helpful on that process.

Post # 7
1514 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: August 2009

You get your marriage license and then you get married.  Usuall the offciant sends it back to the cunty/state and they certify it.  Then with the certified document you do the offical name changing.

The topic ‘what comes 1st?’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors