Post # 1
I’ve been looking through my wedding binder and old WB posts and notice dhow many details have changed during my planning process. So, I’m wondering:
What details changed during your planning? What things stayed the same?
1. Veil – I was dead set on getting a mantilla veil, but after finding my dress, I ended up getting an elbow length traditional one that matched better.
2. Bridesmaid or Best Man dresses – I loooove orange. but I wanted a rewearable Bridesmaid or Best Man dress, and apparently none of my ladies love orange the way I do. So my orange dresses become chocolate brown. lol
3. Honeymoon – Fiance wanted international vacation, but after learning about huricane season, tropical summer tempatures and travel costs… we are now excited for our local honeymoon in Jasper, AB.
Didn’t Change: mismatched Bridesmaid or Best Man dresses, orange flowers, wedding dress with straps
Post # 3
Our invite list went from over 200.. to 125 to 158.
Our colours changed from periwinkle and ivory to periwinkle and deep purple
we changed our meal package to include a 4 hour host bar
My flowers change from a light blue colour to a mix of purples and greens.
Our favours changed from a candy bar to his Mom making delicious Jams.
And what still may change.. my dress. I bought a beautiful A-line but am completely in love with a wonderful fit and flaire.
Post # 4
Oh.. and our centrepeices changed from a floating candle in a vase with water to flowers.
Post # 5
I was adamant about having a beachy venue that had windows overlooking water, instead wound up in a (really amazing) castle-like ballroom with 0 windows that is an hour from the beach
Colors changed from white and gold to cream, gold, and ice blue
I despised custom event lighting, now I love it and am having amber uplights
Dress taste keeps changing! Haven’t bought one yet
Guest list just keeps growing and growing (ahh)
Post # 6
I haven’t really had that much time to change my mind – but our invitations changed from what I thought they’d be which changed my use of their design in other places.
I thought I would wear a veil since I didn’t at my first wedding and really wanted to this time – but when I saw the photo of me in my dress at the store with one on, I hated how it looked so that went out the window 🙂
My centerpiece idea evolved slightly, mostly because of IKEA discontinuing the vases I wanted.
I decided on a short 4 month engagement partly so I wouldn’t be able to change my mind too much – I’m a wedding planner for a living and my idea bank is HUGEEEE but my real bank is not 🙂
Post # 7
The biggest changes were our color scheme, the ever growing guest list, our honeymoon destination, and our budget after suddenly deciding we NEEDED more flowers, a videographer and chiavari chairs.
The overall feel and look of the wedding has stayed the same though even through all the changes.
Post # 8
I originally didn’t want a gap between ceremony and reception. Now, I have a gap of 2.5 hours. I wish I didn’t have to but there’s no way around it. I think that’s the only thing that’s changed.
Post # 9
Ohhh good thread!
- We started with a 250 person guest list, and I cut it down to 160 when I started getting stressed about the budget
- We were going to do a full sit-down dinner, and then changed it to a dessert reception, and now it’s a cocktail reception with LOTS of hors d’eouvres!
- The date 🙁 this is entirely out of my hands…but we had to do it.
- I’ve added a Bridesmaid or Best Man…my cousin who is much younger than me, but I felt bad that she was left out (her sister is one of my BMs)
I *think* that might have been all that we changed.
Post # 10
@napabridekelsey: I forgot, I also added another Groomsmen & Bridesmaid or Best Man late into the game. I was having serious guilt about why my best guy friend wasn’t in the wedding.
Post # 11
green bridesmaide dresses to orange
mantilla veil to pencil edged finger tip veil
hog roast to buffet (damn october weather!)
Post # 12
Our budget started out at $2000 and is now $12,000. That’s the biggest change, obviously. I started out having absolutely no idea how much everything was going to cost. I feel so jaded now.
Post # 13
Wanted a ceremony in a church, but now we are settling for our venue site cause churches are ridiculous with their costs and rules!
I didn’t think i could get the dress I really wanted because of price, but I foumd an amazing deal for a 1/3 of the cost! WOO!
I decided to make Save-The-Date Cards, super cheap!
I keep adding more and more DIY projects…YAY!
Was going to make my own submerged centerpieces, but I’m using morrocan lanterns now cause they’re awesome and much easier!
Our guest list is getting smaller. Some people have basically pissed us off and haven’t been so nice to us, so they’re not being invited….thanks for saving me money!
Colors, Bridesmaid or Best Man dress colors, and my will to make damn near everything i can!
Post # 14
@MissShork: Yeah, I’m regretting adding her, because she’s bringing a TON of drama, but I would still feel awful if she wasn’t involved.
Post # 15
@napabridekelsey: aw lame. I’m lucky my add was a boy. so he’s zero drama. But the BM’s my Fiance then added is his cousin, which might still cause trouble…
Post # 16
We’ve made so many changes, I don’t even think I could keep track of it! Our major ones are:
- Plated dinner instead of buffet
- Open bar instead of beer/wine/signature cocktail
- Colors changed from silver and white to black, white, and red
- Added a bridesmaid
- We thought we’d never shell out for things like chair rental upgrades and colored uplighting…but the wedding industry got us 🙂
- I thought I’d try to use silk flowers for some things but bulk real flowers turned out to be cheaper!