(Closed) What did you NOT like about your wedding photos? & tips for brides…

posted 7 years ago in Photos/Videos
  • poll: What did you NOT like about your wedding photos? (You can pick multiple answers)
    Not enough pics back (I'll post how many pics I got back from the photographer below) : (5 votes)
    14 %
    Photos not edited well : (6 votes)
    16 %
    They did TOO much editing & things look fake : (2 votes)
    5 %
    I'm missing a few BIG key moments : (10 votes)
    27 %
    They didn't backup their work & now I have NO professional photos :( : (0 votes)
    I didn't "click" with my photographer, which made wedding pics awkward : (2 votes)
    5 %
    Actually, my photographer was awesome & I have no complaints! : (12 votes)
    32 %
  • Post # 3
    5823 posts
    Bee Keeper

My photos didn’t look like all the samples on their website.  I think a college photographer could probably have gotten the same photos.  I was also disappointed that they didn’t work around the location/time of day.  We had a morning wedding and they took all the photos in the sun.  Grr.

Post # 4
    3098 posts
    Sugar bee
    • Wedding: November 2009

Quite honestly? Nearly everything. 🙁

Post # 5
    5755 posts
    Bee Keeper

The pictures were actually boring. No creativity at all and they look like he just snapped away randomly with no ryhme or reason. He missed almost all the shots we asked him to take*even provided him with a list), and took way more pictures of the men getting ready than he did of the bride and the other important women. He actually took 5 blurred pictures of the favors,and none of the room at all (when I specifically sent him to the venue to take them instead of standing around doing nothing), and none at all of even one entire table. None of the outside decks or food, and only one of the wedding cake!

I WISH he was a student. Then I would at least understand. 🙁

Post # 6
    1510 posts
    Bumble bee
    • Wedding: June 2010

This makes me even more sure that if there is something the splurge on its the photography since this is the ONLY thing (aside from your marriage that is) that lasts after the wedding is over.

Post # 7
    751 posts
    Busy bee
    • Wedding: May 2010

Great advice serabell!  I just posted about this too!  We are missing a few moments and many of our pictures look like they were taken from a million miles away.  There are dozens of the guys posing before the wedding but only 6 of me and my girls.  There are more pictures of my MOH and her family at our reception than there are of me and mine. I could go on and on…

That said, we did get enough great shots that 20 years from now when I can’t remember how much they disappointed me (I hope) I will be able to look at our pictures and smile at our day! 

Post # 8
    751 posts
    Busy bee

@Mrs. Louboutin – we DID splurge because that was my exact thought and I was still disappointed, so even expensive, well recommended photographers can get it wrong!

Post # 9
    2 posts
    Wannabee

We LOVED our photographers. I didnt want overly fake art-y looking photos, I wanted professional quality images that didnt make my chin look fat. I cannot stop looking at my pics, actually. The technique we used was to hire photographers we clicked with as people after TOTALLY CHEATING and seeing them photograph my best friends wedding. I was so impressed with how her photos captured her day so well that we hired them and we have been SO pleased. The photos arent as “art-y” as some but they look great and they look like my memories.

We interviewed a photographer who was a little cheaper and in the interview/ email chain I was so unimpressed with him. He never once seemed excited to photograph our wedding. I love his portfolio, but he was just cold. I’m so glad we hired the photogs we did.

Post # 10
    8354 posts
    Bumble Beekeeper
    • Wedding: March 2011

You don’t have an other option or I would have checked it. We loved our photographer for our engagement pictures and will have her and her assistant for our wedding. The only thing that I didn’t like was that she didn’t direct us (me) at all. I would have liked her to remind me to hold my tummy in, stand up straight, etc. Other than that, so far I have no complaints. I just got a huge checklist of photos she generally takes at weddings and she also asks for other special request photos that we would like her to take.

Post # 11
    1426 posts
    Bumble bee
    • Wedding: December 1969

I’m not married yet, but I’m worried about over editing 🙁  Our photographer is a little trigger happy with the photoshop.  We’ve told her we like the more natural look, but I’m sure I’m going to get stuff with a lot of stupid effects back.  However, she did say if there’s a photo that we want with a different effect or to have an effect removed, she always saves the originals, so I guess that’s good at least.

Post # 12
    739 posts
    Busy bee

For those posting about why they are unhappy. It would be really helpful to know your budget and what you got vs what you actually paid for.  It also helps what location you are in and why you decided to hire them as your photographer.

Post # 13
    750 posts
    Busy bee
    • Wedding: June 2010

My photographer didn’t edit any pictures before she sent them to us, except for those she put on the blog. And she sent both the original and the edited versions of each of those.

I don’t know yet what I didn’t like about the actual pictures becaues we just got them yesterday in the mail. I sorta wish we’d had more time for pictures of just the two of us, but it didn’t work out. At least we have engagement photos for that. Plus, my husband is very camera shy so I don’t know that he would’ve been able to handle posing for more pictures.

Post # 14
    722 posts
    Busy bee

We ran into the photographer we hired at friend’s wedding last month. He got a great picture of us and emailed it to me. My friend was very happy with things so I am optimistic he will do a good job. 

Post # 15
    751 posts
    Busy bee

@pizzuti – i paid $2950 for our photographer (unlimited hours, second shooter as they were a married team, one album and engagement shoot, just so you know what we got for that $) and our wedding was in Colorado.  We only get online proofs of edited pictures and have about 300 of the over 1000 they shot.  At this point it is unclear if we will ever see the other 700 or so or if we just get what they chose to edit, our contract state we get all “printable images”.  We had thought from talking to them that we would get/see everything but so far that has not been the case. 

Post # 16
    67 posts
    Worker bee
    • Wedding: June 2011

This post came just in time. I will be booking my photographer in about 2 weeks. My FI is out of the country so we won’t be doing e-pics and I am relying solely on websites and previous client reviews to determine which photographers to interview.

@ladyox Do you get digital copies of pictures deemed not printable? It never even occurred to me that they might pick and choose which pics you get, and which ones you don’t.

Thanks for all the tips ladies!

The topic ‘What did you NOT like about your wedding photos? & tips for brides…’ is closed to new replies.

Get our weekly roundup of the best of Weddingbee.
    I agree to receive emails from the site. I can withdraw my consent at any time by unsubscribing.

Find Amazing Vendors