(Closed) What do I do??

posted 8 years ago in Legal
Post # 3
1871 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: February 2011

I think it depends on your priest personally. There’s no legal issue–if you are divorced, you are divorced (and you can’t get a divorce certificate without being married). Why is your priest asking for both documents? If it’s a concern about legality (ie, he doesn’t want to marry someone who’s already married), then the divorce certificate alone should suffice. But if he needs it for some kind of church stipulation, that’s different. If he insists and you can’t find it, then you might have to find a different church. 

It *might* be possible to get a reissue of your marriage certificate from the state you were married in–you can easily if you’re still married, but I’m not sure what happens to that documentation once you get divorced. Might be worth the phone call. 

Post # 4
274 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: October 2011

It’s not an individual priest who grants an annulment, it goes up for review by a board if I understand the process correctly.  It looks like you have plenty of time before your wedding date to get it settled.  Good Luck!!

The topic ‘What do I do??’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors