(Closed) What do you think?

posted 3 years ago in TTC
Post # 62
2395 posts
Buzzing bee

MrsD41503:  Good luck, and seriously, congratulations again!!!!

Post # 64
2395 posts
Buzzing bee

MrsD41503:  Wow, I’m shocked that you’ve gotten such bad customer service! I know you said it’s the only women’s clinic near you, but do you have any alternatives for medical care in the area at all? She’s quite rude, and I would be unhappy needing to interact with her regularly. 

At least they’ve scheduled you for your blood test (yay!). If she hasn’t called you by the end of the day tomorrow (maybe by 4pm?) I would call and ask about your results. It sounds like you’re going to need to be your own best advocate throughout this process, which sucks, I’m sorry. 

Honestly she seems really out of touch and not “up with the times.” My mom keeps telling me how lucky I am because when she was pregnant she got one ultrasound the entire pregnancy and that was it. Today’s medicine is more advanced; you’re tracked more closely, you have more testing available, and you’re seen by your doctor more frequently. The fact that this nurse keeps saying things about how you’re not very far along makes me think she’s hung up on how things used to be, back when women weren’t even seen until they were months and months along. Well lady, that’s not how we do things in the modern world, lol! 

Whatever her reasoning, I’m glad that you were able to get in for the blood test to confirm pregnancy, and I’m sure they’ll see you between 8 and 10 weeks for your first ultrasound at least. I know it seems like you have to wait sooo long, but it’ll be here before you know it! Have you figured out what your estimated due date is yet? 

Post # 66
5889 posts
Bee Keeper
  • Wedding: May 2012

MrsD41503:  yayayayay!  that’s great that you have the AFLAC option….wish we had that!  luckily i’ve been paying into my short term disability though so even though we don’t get maternity leave i’ll get 6 weeks of half pay.

Post # 69
371 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: November 2013

MrsD41503:  Congrats!!!  FWIW, at my clinic they don’t see you before 8 weeks unless you have a history of multiple miscarriages.  So although, her attitiude was quite rude, it is probably true that they don’t see people before 8 weeks or so.  She could have just explained that to you though!  No need for attitude.  Congrats again, that is a VERY clear positive!!

Post # 71
4128 posts
Honey bee
  • Wedding: August 2013

MrsD41503:  there isn’t a lot you have to do in those first weeks before your appointment. Take a prenatal with folic acid (if you aren’t already). Stop drinking alcohol. Stop smoking. Reduce caffeine. That’s about it!

Post # 72
371 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: November 2013

MrsD41503:  I did a lot of internet searching:)  I was lucky and most of my friends had kids so I talked with a couple of friends who I felt comfortable telling early. I know I was very surprised that it was 8 weeks!  I totally thought that as soon as you had a positive, you went in!

Post # 73
9813 posts
Buzzing Beekeeper
  • Wedding: September 2013

MrsD41503:  I think we just use google. I mean the lifestyle changes are generally fairly obvious.  Quit drinking alchol and smoking. Reduce caffeine if you drink a higher amount.  Not too much more, but google is just as helpful as a doctor as long as you visit reputable websites.  It is standard practice that OBs don’t see patients until at least 6-8weeks unless you have a history or other health issues.  Take a prenatal with folic acid, it really isn’t as difficult as some people make it out to be.  Your OB knows that HPTs are very accurate and if you got a positive, you are pregnant.  No blood test needed.  That’s not to say you can’t ask for one, but that is how they few things.  Here is plenty of reading material http://americanpregnancy.org/

Post # 74
2395 posts
Buzzing bee

MrsD41503:  Glasgowbound is right! You can look up different prenatals online – I tried a few because I had a hard time swallowing the first (Nature’s Made) and the second made me nauseaous (Women’s one a day). Other than that, just exercise if you can, eat healthy if you can, drink lots of water, and stop smoking and drinking alcohol. I particularly liked the book “Expecting Better” by Emily Oster if you’re looking for one. πŸ™‚

The topic ‘What do you think?’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors