Post # 1
I’m driving myself crazy thinking whether or not the big moment is coming and I wanted to get other’s opinions on my situation. My boyfriend and I are coming up on our 3 year anniversary in 2 weeks. There have been a few incidents recently that’s made me start to really think about if he’s ready to propose …
- A couple of months ago, his mother made a comment such as, “my son’s future wife”. Hmmmm…?
- A couple of weeks after that, I ran into my boyfriend’s uncle and showed him the promise/commitment ring my boyfriend gave me July 2016 and he commented that I should “be prepared for the real thing”. Hmmmm…?
- A couple of weeks after that, his best friend also made some references about marriage (with my boyfriend around) about how “some guys just need a little extra nudge” and that he tells my boyfriend “sh*t or get off the pot”, all while looking and winking at me. Hmmm..?
- Two weeks ago, my boyfriend stated to me, “Let’s elope. All we need to bring is our mom’s anyways. Let’s do it.” I didn’t think he was serious and I had a look on my face like, “Yeah right, get out of here, stop playing.” He then got down on one knee, held my hand, and asked again .. but again, I didn’t think he was serious and he back tracked, looked nervous and said, “Oh, well, you’re not saying yes..maybe I’m not the one..?” I reassured him that he his, but that I didn’t think he was being serious – we dropped it after that.
- Fast forward to present time, our anniversary is coming up on June 3rd, and he’s planning a weekend trip to Palm Springs and he’s fully taking the reins on this trip.
I feel like that might be when he pops the question, but I don’t want to get my hopes up and have all the disappointment show on my face when it doesn’t happen. Am I’m overthinking this whole thing and seeing signs that aren’t really there? I know I should live in the moment and not worry about what may or may not happen, but I’m seriously driving myself crazy thinking about this. I’m so ready for this to happen and have been for a while, but I’ve never put any kind of pressure on him because I know men will only do things when they are ready.
What do you think? Do you think it’ll happen on our 3 year anniversary or hopefully soon?
Post # 2
Have you tried having a serious convo with him about marriage? That should give you a better clue or a direct answer
Post # 3
I agree with pp about a serious conversation. I’m actually surprised that a conversation didn’t happen after he was already on one knee.
Post # 4
Yes, we’ve had serious conversations before and he’s always said that marriage is ultimately where we’re headed, but at the time he stated he wasn’t ready yet because he was in a position where he wasn’t financially secure.
The last time we’ve had a serious talk about marriage was before all these events happened and things have changed now to where he is much more financially secure.
Post # 5
I know! I regret not talking more about it then, but now I feel like so much time has passed, it’d be a little weird to bring it back up and say, “Heyyy, remember when you wanted to elope? What was up with that?” (for lack of better words lol)
Post # 6
I don’t think any of the “hints” from other people mean anything. It could just be wishful thinking from his mom and uncle. Ignore those.
Whether his eloping comment means something or not really depends on how much he was joking. If he actually wants to elope, I’d believe he was heavily considering. If he’s like Jim from the office with the repeated “oh let me tie my shoe” pranks, then no I don’t think it means anything.
Theres really no way to know unless you have an honest conversation. I don’t understand why people can be ready to get engagement yet can’t actually talk to that person about it. Unless you actually have that conversation, you are likely setting yourself up for disappointment because you are basically just hoping that your bf can read your mind. If I were a guy, there’s no way I’d want to propose unless we actually talked about marriage and timelines and I knew she was going to say yes. I mean, what if the girl had some goal for before marriage that meant she’d rather it be put off by a year?
How did I know a proposal was coming soon? We talked about what we wanted from our relationship and life like adults. I didn’t know the exact date, but I knew an approximate two month span. I also knew that if he wasn’t going to propose then, he’d talk to me about it and we’d have a conversation about what that meant.