What does $100,000 get you?

posted 3 years ago in Home
Post # 106
897 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: September 2015

Checked the listings.  Nothing for $100k, you can get land for less.  Closest house I found was:

$74,900
2 bedrooms
1 bathroom
885 sq. ft.
4,356 sq. ft. lot

Post # 107
662 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: November 2016

We paid $105,000 for our starter home that we are currently living.  We are ~35 mins outside of New Orleans in a pretty decent sized city.  Our house is ~1,200 sq ft, 3 bedrooms, 2 full baths with a large fenced backyard on a corner lot.  There are no houses behind ours…just dense woods.  We are in a no-flood zone, and during Hurricane Katrina we only had some wind damage. We are in the best school district in the state, and my neighborhood mainly consists of young couples like ourselves and old, retired couples.  At any given time of day in our neighborhood you will see kids riding bikes, people walking dogs and families strolling the streets.  

However, we bought our house from my parents, so I do believe it is worth more than we paid for it.  On my street alone there are houses worth ~200,000, and I would consider our house the smallest in the neighborhood. It’s perfect for us, and you can’t beat a $684 monthly mortgage payment!  They also just built a beautiful firehouse at the beginning of our neighborhood, which gives us some reassurance.  We will most likely use this as a rental property when we decide to upgrade.

Post # 108
1178 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: March 2017

100,000 gets you MAYBE a piece of land outside of the city.

Condos are going to run in the mid 300’s to $$$$$ depending on the building. There are some incredible luxury buildings in downtown Seattle.

The suburbs, you can find a nice family (3-4 bedrooms and 1800-2500 sq ft) home for $600-1M. $600 is on the low end and hard to find right now.

Post # 109
2403 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: October 2016

nykkee :  my husband & I plan on buying a second house in Nova Scotia in the next ten years. Can only live there 6 months of the year because we’re American, though.

Post # 110
2003 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: April 2018

I found one crappy little house not far from mine. It would be a fixer-upper. 

Then I found nothing but plots of land. 

If I go across the stateline I find 3 bed-2 bath homes that are very small and in areas I wouldn’t live. 

I live in Kansas.

Post # 111
2666 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: May 2017

jannigirl :  May-October would be the best 6 months weather wise here

Post # 113
287 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: September 2013

Nothing. Maybe a share of parking space? We live in Manhattan.

Post # 114
960 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: September 2015 - Historic Chapel

SabL22 :  A very extremely nice downpayment. In my area you can’t find any decent worth buying houses for less than $200,000, and even at that price they need work done most of the time.

Leave a comment

Find Amazing Vendors