Post # 1
I have some tidbits of information about the proposal that confuse the heck out of me. If you know how the ring making process works, please help a curious bee. Here’s what I know:
1. SO knows how much the ring will cost. The center stone and setting are coming from different places because he can get a discount. He told me he didn’t do enough research and it’s going to cost a lot more than he thought because he can’t be cheap with the center stone because the setting stones would outshine it. (which made me feel terrible!)
2. He has not paid for the ring yet. I thought he did, and I offered to chip in more with bills, and he said “I’m not broke yet…eventually.” (i was horrified at the thought of him going into debt over this and he assured me he would be fine and not to worry). Do you pay for the ring before or after it’s made?
3. He’s waiting for “something” to happen. He told me this a months ago, and said it again last week when I prodded (bad bee!). He won’t say what, but it’s something that’s out of his control and it has to happen before the rest of his plan can follow. What the heck would take this long?
4. He hinted at a December proposal a while back, but recently said he doesn’t know when it will happen (see 3), but that it will be soon. Our timeline is before 2013 and he hasn’t said it’s changing…
Post # 3
3. Maybe he is getting a bonus or a raise at work?
Post # 4
When getting a custom ring, most stores require a deposit to start production. then, payments can be made along the way or the balance payment is made once the ring is ready. it’s obviously in the works and the proposal is imminent so enjoy!
Post # 5
We didn’t have to put a deposit down for the custom process, but I think that was unusual (though we left the diamond with them because it was needed for the CAD rendering process, so maybe that was our “collateral”). We paid upon the completion of the project.
It’s obviously in the works, he hasn’t said anything about changing your timeline, and 2013 is rapidly approaching, so I think you will be able to find out one way or the other soon enough! Yay!
Post # 6
It’s not exactly custom…the setting is tacori and he’s getting the center some from a family friend instead of the tacori jeweler so he can get a little discount. Is it the same process though?
Post # 7
If you already know he’s buying the ring, what’s the problem?
Post # 8
Also, last night we were playing around and I (jokingly) said something about how I probably won’t be getting his engagement boat by Christmas. He said “probably not, huh?” Makes me think it’s not happening this year anymore 🙁
Post # 9
It means just sit back and relax and enjoy the natural flow of the relationship! Stop stressing and asking him questions and let him do his thing. Good luck! =)
Post # 10
@newcitylights: Hmmm, I’m not sure- I can only say what we’ve done. I totally feel for you- my ring got finished this week, so I am ANXIOUSLY waiting. Hope you hear more details soon!