(Closed) what does your dr say about zika?

posted 6 years ago in TTC
Post # 16
1978 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: June 2015

DH and I are heading to Aruba the week after next for a delayed honeymoon. The doctor advised we not go but we aren’t listening. I hear that mosquitos aren’t a big problem there so I am going to arm us with some good bug repellant and go enjoy. 

Post # 17
138 posts
Blushing bee
  • Wedding: Beach

No pregnancy plans in the future for me but what about Guillain-Barre? That does not sound fun. What about people with low immune systems? We would like to still go to the Caribbean but jut wondering if anyone has concerns aside from pregnancy?

Post # 18
2134 posts
Buzzing bee

View original reply
soontobemrsKB92615:  this. 

My doctor pretty much said that it wasn’t proven and that there were other factors. She told me to be safe, try not to get bit, and put on misquote repellant. She also said that even if we do go there in September, it will probably be in the U.S. before then anyway. 

She pretry much said be careful and have fun!

Post # 19
1180 posts
Bumble bee

View original reply
MissAmericanPie:  I heard that you should abstain from TTC for up to two months. You’re both on the right page if you plan to get tested once home and then TTC. Good Luck.

Post # 20
333 posts
Helper bee

I went on a girls trip in February in a spot that has recorded some zika infections.  I wore a ton of bugspray and we didn’t TTC for February.  I got no bites at all and just got back from the doctor and got the ok to start TTC this month.  Now my bf didn’t come but if he had I would have been nervous because zika can stay in sperm longer.  For now I’m comfortable trying with my doctors approval.

Post # 21
39 posts

If you really want to go somewhere on your honeymoon and it’s not a HUGE deal to you to wait on TTC a bit, I would go and then decide on a TTC timeline after you see if you get bit.  My husband and I wanted to start TTC this month but had already had a SE Asia vacation planned in February.  We sprayed everyday and got zero bites (despite seeing some mosquitoes-I was thrilled!) so we went on with our plan to TTC this month. If we had gotten bitten we were going to wait 3 months. 

Post # 22
58 posts
Worker bee
  • Wedding: June 2016

What concerns me now is that if the guy gets zika it could hang out in his sperm and they don’t have a way to test for that and don’t know how long he could transmit zika. 

Has anyone considered banking sperm before a central/south american honeymoon?

The topic ‘what does your dr say about zika?’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors