(Closed) What happens to your house when you change your name?

posted 8 years ago in Home
Post # 3
171 posts
Blushing bee
  • Wedding: October 2010

You can either submit a request to have your name changed on the mortgage – for my bank they required me to get an updated insurance policy with my new name, a copy of the marriage certificate and a few other forms they sent me to sign.

However, you don’t have to change your name either. When you go to sell your home you will just have to sign an affadavit stating what your alias’ you have. I’m not sure if they would require a copy of a marrige cert or not. But either way it isn’t too much of a hassle.

Name changing is so much fun isn’t it!

Post # 5
2066 posts
Buzzing bee

I changed my name with my mortgage company and also changed my name with the Tax Collector’s office. 

Post # 6
258 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: October 2010

I called my insurance company before I changed my name on any of this stuff (mortgage, deed and insurance). They stated that if your name does not match on all three, you may be in trouble down the line.

I would suggest changing your deed, mortgage, insurance policy and the Tax Collector’s office to be safe.

Good Luck!

Post # 8
3526 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: August 2010

I changed my name on my mortgage.

I looked into changing the name on my deed, contacted my lawyer and he told me that he doesn’t think it’s necessary and a waste of money. When we go to sell I’ll just have to sign maiden name aka married name. And I’ll attach the legal document as well.

I figure if my lawyer -who will make money if I do change it- doesn’t think it’s necessary then it really isn’t a big deal.

On homeowners though it has to match the deed so the insurance will stay under my maiden.

To be on the safe side I contact your lawyer and ask for his/her professional opinion.

The topic ‘What happens to your house when you change your name?’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors