(Closed) What Home Can You Get For $500K In Your Town/City?

posted 5 years ago in The Lounge
Post # 2
944 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: November 2012

In central CA- our home we bought in summer of 2012 cost us $160k- 1,100 sq ft, 3 bedroom, 2 bath, one car garage, 1/3 of an acre lot. I love our home and we bought at the perfect time and got really lucky! 

NOW 500k would get us a really nice newer home with 4 bed/3 bath, 2,500 square feet, bigger yard and two car garage in a town over that’s more desirable to live in. It’s funny how there’s such a difference in price just miles away!   There is one area that $500k could get us even more but it’s far away from work, town, major shopping stores. 

Post # 4
944 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: November 2012

View original reply
bambiiandthefox:  the central coast:) our town is about 40 minutes from the beach!

Post # 5
1027 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: September 2015

Our house is 1680 ft w/ pool ( 3 bedrooms, 2 bath)  and great backyard for 275k, 500k would get us a pretty nice house in the area!

Post # 6
1257 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: October 2014

Ha, basically shit in Portland, Oregon. If you want to live where its trendy… Link is to a 2 bed 1 bath at 1,066 square feet that is basically a teardown…

Post # 7
151 posts
Blushing bee

I live in the suburbs of Chicago and we just purchased our home for just under 300k last year. The house was built 5 years ago. 4 bedrooms, 2.5 baths, 3 car garage, 2800sqft. 

For 500k we would be able to get a house with more sqft and a bigger lot.

Post # 8
7571 posts
Bumble Beekeeper
  • Wedding: October 2014

Here in Boston, 500k gets you a smallish 1br condo in a decent neighborhood but no bells or whistles. Basic kitchen, basic flooring, no parking, no view.

Post # 9
3 posts
Wannabee

I live in Swfl  this home is 450,000$ never lived in 2,500 Sq feet. 3 bedrooms 3 baths.

You can find AMAZING homes down here for that price range

Post # 10
1754 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: June 2016

In South Carolina I could get what would feel like a mansion! Typical nice 3-4 bedroom homes in my area are around $200,000. 

Post # 11
1688 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: September 2016

For five hundred thousand Canadian dollars here I could either get a mansion just outside of city limits, or a large house less than ten years old on one of the most popular vacation lakes in my province.

Post # 12
3561 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: June 2016

It’s shocking seeing what you all pay! The home prices are pretty much the only thing keeping me and Fiance in Texas.

We live in the Dallas area. You can get an amazing house for that. Somewhere in the range of 4,000 Sq ft, a huge backyard with pool, completely updated. Most custom built model homes go for cheaper than 500k. 

We plan to purchase a 3 bed/2 bath in a nice neighborhood near the lake in the next couple of years. We don’t expect to spend more than 200 or 250.

Post # 13
59 posts
Worker bee
  • Wedding: March 2016 - Long Island

We paid $600K for a 1 br condo in NJ just across the river from NYC. 🙁 

Happy that my commute to work downtown is quick but very sad when I see what our money could get us in towns where the commute to work isn’t so pleasant. 

Post # 15
9388 posts
Buzzing Beekeeper
  • Wedding: July 2016

wow.  Um, I currently live around San Francisco.

For $490k Trulia says you could get a 303 sqft studio condo with a small patio, in a high crime neighborhood. (Bright red on the crime map). 

:-/

The topic ‘What Home Can You Get For $500K In Your Town/City?’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors