Post # 1
Hi Bees! My dr has referred me to go see a fertility specialist! I was told that my Darling Husband should also attend but im unsure of what i should expect in our first meeting. Will it be just be a casual conversation of my history or will be taking some tests. What was your experience the first time meeting a fertility specialist?
Post # 3
Most of my tests were done by my OBGYN/HMO. Once all those tests were done, they refered me to an RE.
Once we met with the RE doc, he looked over my records and test results, asked some questions and laid out a very lose plan. (I was having major hormonal issues, so it was hard to know exactly what to do. But he gave me a rough idea of what to expect). They may have drawn blood to get a baseline, but I don’t remember.
Just make sure to fill out all their paperwork and have your GP/OBGYN records with you.
Post # 4
Mr first RE appt went down like this:
- Filled out a boatload of medical/ttc history paperwork prior to the appt (or in the waiting room)
- Nurse took height, weight, Bridal Party measurements on hubby and I
- Met with the RE in her regular office, talking over ttc history, and she looked over my bbt charts, and my hubby’s semen analysis, and gave us some ideas about what may or may not be contributing to our lack of success
- Because I was CD1, the RE was able to do an ultrasound to check my antral follicle count
- Made a plan with the RE for treatment. She gave us a few options.
- Nurse took blood from me for some labs (AMH, immunizations, etc)
- Met with Nurse Practitioner to get detailed instructions and prescriptions for the upcoming cycle
- Scheduled an HSG on the way out
Post # 5
I think all RE’s are a little different, so your experience could vary from other women. But what the previous posters mentioned above is most likely what you can expect to happen. I would just be sure to take paper and a pen to take notes. That’s what I did. I also had questions prepared. My first visit was different, because I was seeing the RE for fibroids and he removed them through surgery. After the surgery he came up with a game plan (Clomid) which we tried for a few months. So my experience was different since I was referred to him for the fibroids/surgery, not infertility, yet. Good luck!!!
Post # 6
Similar to above. We went in and our consultation was well over an hour. She had all my records from my OB do we reviewed them, our family history, my monthly lab results from my 3 Clomid cycles under my OB and my HSG. She did an ultrasound bc they schedule consults in the beginning of your cycle if possible. We worked out a plan for Clomid and then trigger and IUI depending on Darling Husband SA. He also scheduled that day for his SA the following day and I had a ton more labs drawn. Definetly take notes and write down questions; it’s an overwhelming visit. I feel it’s very important for your Darling Husband to be there not only for support but to help with questions and information.
Post # 7
Thanks Ladies for your feedback. I really appreciate it!