(Closed) What if the relationship goes south..

posted 7 years ago in Legal
Post # 4
627 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: August 2013

None of the lawyer bees will be able to give you specific advice. However, maybe your friend should see an immigration lawyer about the situation and maybe a family lawyer. Is the child a citizen of the US or Mexico or both?

Why is your friend marrying him if he is abusive? 

Post # 5
620 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: April 2012

I’m not an attorney but I do know that nothing could stop him from taking his child back to Mexico. It would not matter if he was a citizen in the US or not. There are international child custody disputes between citizens of many different countries. Even if she has a court order ordering him not to take his child out of the country all he has to do is get the child a passport from his country of citizenship in this case Mexico and then take them out of the country using that passport instead of the American passport. This woman’s childen were taken in 1986 she has seen them once since then. http://www.angelfire.com/rock/cribbage/gheshayan.html

Post # 6
3041 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: May 2010

I’m not a lawyer at all, I just know that my parents divorced when I was a baby & they always had to get each other’s permission to take me out of state. But that doesn’t mean they always did that. I’ve heard of times where the dad moves out of the country with the kid & it takes years & lots of work to get the kid back. Or the mom moves the kid out of state & the dad can’t find them.

If he’s abusive, she could file a restraining order against him & for the kid. However, it sounds like your friend wants to be with him (since you said the “next step” is for them to get married here).

This may be off topic, but I thought that if you’re married in another country & its valid, you don’t have to get re-married in other countries? Like Darling Husband & I got married in USA, but if we moved to Canada or Mexico or Africa, I don’t think we’d have to get re-married to make it legal. Right?

No one’s going to be able to say for sure except a lawyer!!

Post # 8
2142 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: August 2010

You don’t become a citizen by way of marriage.

You only get a green card. The initial issue is valid for 3 years I think then a permanent one gets reissue after that.

I have many family members that married non citizens and my friend was a int’l student so she had to go through all that with her husband.

If your friend wants to her best bet is to speak with a immigration lawyer.

The topic ‘What if the relationship goes south..’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors