(Closed) What is more important: Slightly better Color/Clarity or an extra 0.25 carats!

posted 7 years ago in Rings
  • poll: Which Diamond?
    1ct Princess Cut Diamond- Color I/J, Clarity- I1/I2 : (23 votes)
    27 %
    3/4ct Princess Cut Diamond- Color- G/H, Clarity- SI : (60 votes)
    71 %
    Neither- Explain why. : (1 votes)
    1 %
  • Post # 3
    6998 posts
    Busy Beekeeper
    • Wedding: February 2011

what does the ring look like? i would be worried about the color – if its next to other stones.

i would go for the better clarity/smaller stone – personally.

Post # 4
    4137 posts
    Honey bee
    • Wedding: May 2011

better color and especially clarity make the diamond sparkle more, which can make it seem bigger. carat size should be the least important of the 4 c’s.

Post # 5
    1041 posts
    Bumble bee
    • Wedding: November 2012

I would go with a better quality over size. There is a clear differnce between a G and an I and i *personally* would steer clear of an I. I’s mean there is an inclusion that can been seen with the naked eye and that is something i wouldnt want. But i guess it all depends on what is more important to you.

Post # 6
    6661 posts
    Bee Keeper
    • Wedding: May 2010

I feel like it always comes down to H vs. I in color for a significant price difference. Because with I usually you can tell with the naked eye that it’s slightly yellow, but once you get to H it’s almost impossible. I voted go for the 3/4 carat that isn’t yellow, but I think it really depends on the individual diamonds. What I would do if I were you is hold them up next to each other and try to see if you can tell a difference in color. If you honestly can’t, then go for the bigger stone.

Good luck!

Post # 7
    3049 posts
    Sugar bee
    • Wedding: January 1991

My stone is 1.17 carat, Color is K, and Clarity is I1. I can see an inclusion in it, but you have to look for it. I personally like my bigger diamond and don’t want anything smaller. I’m not sure where the color falls on the line, but to me… it looks colorless. That’s all that matters to me ๐Ÿ™‚

EDIT: The 4C’s says my diamond is slightly yellow. The inclusion is so small that I have to search for it to really find it. It doesn’t mess with the sparkle on my diamond in my opinion ๐Ÿ™‚ Everyone at works jokes around that Fiance went bankrupt to buy my diamond… if only they knew it had visible inclusions and it was “yellow”.

Post # 8
    238 posts
    Helper bee
    • Wedding: October 2011

I would go bigger.  It is really up to you, though, and what you feel is most important.  A lot of people make value judgements and try to tell you which of the 4 C’s “should be” most important to you, but really it is just your preference for what you want to wear on your finger the rest of your life. There’s nothing wrong with going bigger- and that probably going to be the most noticeable difference between the two rings anyways.

Post # 9
    238 posts
    Helper bee

BTW- I am biased because I have a 1.5 carat diamond that is not super high quality- but everyone is wowed by it and it looks shiny and fantastic (not yellow) and I wouldn’t trade the size for color or clarity any day. No one’s looking at your finger through a jeweler’s loop, lol.

Post # 10
    344 posts
    Helper bee
    • Wedding: June 2013

For me it would come down to what type of inclusion it was..

Although I prefer icy white, an H or I stone wouldn’t bother me too much.

Similarly, I prefer a completely eye clean stone, but an SI1 that was difficult to spot (or covered by a prong) wouldn’t be a deal breaker.

So.. the type of inclusion.. I have seen some I1/I2s that were not horrible.  You could see the inclusion, but meh.. didn’t really bother me.  However, I did see an I2 at Kays this weekend that made me question the salesman and ask “What the heck is wrong with this diamond and why is it even on the floor?!?”  It literally looked like it had a giant crack on the side (it probably did) and if it was on my hand, I would be able to see it from an arms length away.  So, all I’m saying is inclusions (especially in the I1/I2/I3) range are not all equal and I would be wary when buying one.

For me, it would come down to what your ring size is and how acceptable the 1ct. diamond looks.  

Post # 11
    1991 posts
    Buzzing bee

Unless the carat difference was at least .5 carat, I would go for better color/clarity. In general, you can’t really tell the difference in size when it’s only .25 carat difference.

Post # 12
    14660 posts
    Honey Beekeeper
    • Wedding: June 2011

Normally i would go for better quality, but at that size, I think theres a notible size difference between .75 and 1.  I would want the 1, as long as I’ve seen the actual stone and it looked good in person.  Or if theres an option to wait, and get the 1ct in the better quailty… I might pick that option instead.  I also dont think I/J is noticibly yellower than a G/H, or noticibly yellow at all, until you put it right up to a E/F, so the color would not be as big a concern to me as size also.

Post # 13
    528 posts
    Busy bee
    • Wedding: July 2012

I always say- go for quality. A better quality stone will usually sparkle more and look bigger anyway! Good luck with what you decide

Post # 14
    4311 posts
    Honey bee
    • Wedding: November 1999

The person who is going to notice the difference the most is you.  Not your random stranger on the street.  So I would pick the one YOU are the most comfortable with.

Post # 15
    1370 posts
    Bumble bee
    • Wedding: July 2011

G, H, and I are all near colorless grades and most jewelry stores have rings that are H/I in color. If the stone is J it will have a slight yellow color. I would ask one of the sales associates to walk with you to look at the ring under natural light instead of the light in the store which can mess with the color a bit.

That being said, which is more important to you? A larger stone or slightly better quality? My ring is an I2 and you cannot see any inclusions from the top. I picked color/carat weight over clarity in my case.

Post # 16
    452 posts
    Helper bee
    • Wedding: February 2015

I picked the 3/4 carat but I think it depends on how they look.  If you want the 1 carat and it looks good, go for it!  

The topic ‘What is more important: Slightly better Color/Clarity or an extra 0.25 carats!’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors