What is the average cost of a nice 3600 sq home in your state?

posted 3 years ago in Home
Post # 16
1724 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: October 2017

3+ million at least. 

750 sq ft condo is like $650,000. 

Post # 17
3727 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: November 2014

Depends on the exact location here because within about 25 miles you can go from beach front to country living. That size house on the beach would cost $700k and up. That size farther into the country would go for 250k and up depending on property size. 

Post # 18
13677 posts
Honey Beekeeper
  • Wedding: November 1999

I just put in my city on one of those real estate sites.  Anywhere form $1 million – 2.75 million.  I’m in the immediate DC suburbs. 

Post # 19
1221 posts
Bumble bee

I live just outside of Seattle (suburb about 45 mins away). Things are expensive here too, but I grew up in Vancouver, BC…. and I’ve seen how things are much more expensive there!

In my area of town…. I would estimate that a 3000 sq foot house, (smaller than what you mentioned) , that’s at least 15 years old would go for about $700- 800 K. Minimum. Friends of mine recently bought a home in this area, and the aformentioned house needeed some upgrades, too.

I shudder to think of what this would cost in Seattle, proper. I’m guessing about a million or more… but I am really not sure.

Post # 20
1903 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: October 2017

sscott06 :  In the Twin Cities in MN. We sold our last house that was about that size, but had many 70’s touches. It went for 350K. Nicer ones would go for closer to 400K. That is with small lots in the suburbs.

Post # 21
1150 posts
Bumble bee

In my city/surrounds zilllow is showing 3400 sq feet house’s starting at 929k, several at 1.2mil and some condos over 2mil.

Who has a 3600 sq foot house though?  Is this a common size where you live?  Just curious.  There are few homes that size in my area.  A house & yard that size seems like it should come with maid & grounds staff lol.  Come to think of it, I don’t even know if I’ve been in a house that large, outside of maybe a few events-weddings and such, that I worked at very wealthy people’s homes.  

Post # 22
9504 posts
Buzzing Beekeeper
  • Wedding: August 2012

It would be a very similar cost here, upper midwest.

Most homes over $300k are at least 3000 square feet in this area.

Post # 23
6771 posts
Busy Beekeeper

In my area a 3,600 sq ft house would range from $600k for a poorly located fixer-upper to $1-2M for a nicer house in a better neighborhood. 

Post # 24
Hostess
3868 posts
Honey bee
  • Wedding: November 2016

sscott06 :  Damn you can’t even get a one bedroom condo where I live for $400k (in a good neighborhood that’s over 600 square feet).  I’m in D.C. – I searched 3500 square foot houses on the market now and they are 1.7-8 million by me (not sure of the quality of home).  Grain of salt though, I only see 6 properties of that size on the market right now.  In the immediate suburbs (Arlington, Alexandria, Montgomery County) I see 700k to 3.5 million. 

ETA: I have two friends in South Carolina who have houses that size that they got for under 200k.  I’ve been very tempted to move!

Post # 25
8099 posts
Bumble Beekeeper

sscott06 :  3,600 sq ft is really large for my area (Boston suburb) but there are a few on the market and they are all at least $1.5 million. And they still need updating…

Post # 26
649 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: August 2015

Around 400K to 1.5 million, if it’s just big but not luxurious. Most homes under 600K are in seriously bad neighborhoods or in a hurricane flood zone – you’re likely in for extra expenses like private school or mold remediation, and they may lose in value over time. If it’s something fancy and/or in a hot neighborhood, all bets are off. They could easily sell in the tens of millions.

That said, just a short commute into the suburbs gets you a big beautiful house with land for around 400K and up. I guess it’s just the idea of living “in” the city and never driving that keeps more people from leaving.

Post # 27
1815 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: June 2016

Here in Ottawa, Ontario suburbs my 2000 square foot home is worth $400,000. If I lived in downtown Ottawa where the 100+ year old homes are you could easily double that.

Unless you have 6 kids why on Earth do you have that large a home?? The heating/cooling, insurance, maintanence and property taxes would be insane (and very wasteful). We were offered over $1 million by our bank for a mortgage, so I’m not saying we couldn’t afford a big house, but why? 

Post # 28
1471 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: June 2015 - Holly Hedge Estate

im in central NJ and it seems to be around 1.2 mil. And some of those need some serious renovations. House hunting is so F-ing stressful. I don’t know how people save enough money for a down payment…. 🙁 We would like to find a 4 bedroom for under 450k. Doesn’t seem possible in the areas we want.

Post # 29
5827 posts
Bee Keeper
  • Wedding: May 2011

Northern NJ, 900k+ for an older home in a nice area that needs some updating. 1.2MM and up for a totally updated, move-in ready home. Property taxes will also be like 25-30k cry

Post # 30
586 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: March 2017

3,600 square feet is HUGE for my city (east coast, historic, lots of tiny row homes). I just looked and most are penthouses and are in the $2-$7 million depending on how nice the building is.

In the town I grew up in, let’s just say a third of an acre down the street from my parents is currently listed for $675k. No house on it. That’s in NY. It’s one of the most expensive real estate markets in the country, though.

Luckily I don’t think we need anywhere near 3,600 sq feet. We’ll probably aim for 1,600-2,000.

Leave a comment

Find Amazing Vendors