(Closed) what is the lowest mm i can go before a ring will warp? + sol307/rose gold quest

posted 3 years ago in Rings
Post # 2
1704 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: July 2009

There is no set minimum as thickness matters, but anthing below 2 mm is not ideal. Gold wears away over time, so the less metal you have the faster that can happen. That setting from Moiss Co is their version of a tiffany 6prong with slight knife edge.when you are figuring costs, keep in mind that it will cost $100-200 to set a stone in the setting. 

Post # 4
1122 posts
Bumble bee

I’ve heard some jewelers say 1.5, Some 1.8, and others say 2mm. So I guess it’s a matter of the jewelers opinion. If you go with a 1.5mm just make sure it has some thickness to the height for added support, so at least 1.5mm in height. Also, I doubt it would warp anytime soon. With that said even if it does slightly bend out of shape from years of wear, or even an accident such as smashing your hand in something while wearing it etc..you can always have it reshanked. So I say get want you want! 

Post # 5
1122 posts
Bumble bee

Check out Americansetco on eBay. Their based in the US, and have very reasonably priced 14k rose gold settings. They don’t come with a stone though. 

Post # 6
241 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: May 2013

I looked at the sol307 for a long time too. I loved how simple and plain it was. I didn’t go for that one in the end. But it’s such a nice simple setting I personally wouldn’t worry about making it any thinner. 

Are you liking 4 or 6 prongs? What size is your finger? What mm stone?

Post # 7
2748 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: May 2007

View original reply
reginabee :  I love really thin rings, but they do have their drawbacks. I had a 1.7mm knife edge solitaire for a little less than a year, and it’s warped. My new one is 2mm and it even feels sturdier but visually it hardly looks different from the 1.7mm.

Post # 9
3829 posts
Honey bee
  • Wedding: April 2017

My jeweller recommended I go with 2mm or 1.8mm at minimum. My cousin has a little 1mm band and it does look and feel flimsy. 

Post # 11
930 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: May 2017

My jeweler highly suggests at least 2mm but will go down to 1.8. I have a little twist rope ring that is probably around 1.5 and it’s great as it is but I can’t imagine it as a e ring base…it just wouldn’t be very sturdy for long term wear and tear.

Post # 12
217 posts
Helper bee

View original reply
reginabee :  I have this ring in Platinum and I love it! I hate thick bands and wanted something dainty. My friend’s dad is a jewler and he recommended going with platinum (which I was going to do anyway because I have a serious metal allergy) because it is more durable. He said it might warp slightly over time if you bang it about a lot but it is a really easy fix when the ring is platinum. 

I am a teacher and I baby my ring so no damage yet! 

Post # 14
241 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: May 2013

I ended up going with the sol281. I love it 🙂

I wanted the sol307 for a long time but then I decided I needed just a little something more to the setting. I felt like the plain shank with the plain prongs was a teeny bit too minimalistic for me. (The right it was replacing was plain.) plus I also loved that the sol281 is low set. It’s still very basic. Has a little added detail due to the basket and the low set eventually won me over. 

Post # 15
4640 posts
Honey bee
  • Wedding: December 2011

Exactly what bellabee16 said about adding height to the ring for added strength. You can have the illussion of super thin… maybe even 1mm… but have it be thicker heightwise rather than widthwise to provide support.

The topic ‘what is the lowest mm i can go before a ring will warp? + sol307/rose gold quest’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors