(Closed) What is this setting called?

posted 4 years ago in Rings
Post # 3
191 posts
Blushing bee

In my opinion, it is far TOO wide.

It looks like a man’s class ring. 

Post # 6
4040 posts
Honey bee
  • Wedding: August 2013

That one looks less like a class ring but it’s very high. I’d worry I’d catch it on EVERYTHING! 

Post # 7
11272 posts
Sugar Beekeeper
  • Wedding: April 2012

@sporting:  i believe it’s called a square set or square prong setting.  typically used for princess cuts or stones with perfect 90 degree corners.

the ring is a bit thick but if that’s what you like, fine.  i would be a bit concerned with the cut open details on the band.  i could imagine a lot of debris, hand lotion, etc getting into them.

Post # 8
191 posts
Blushing bee

@sporting:  maybe for the ring to be more comfortable and functional (ie, not being banged around by who’s wearing it), try for a thinner shank (I’d say the average e-ring band is 2-3.5mm), and where the center stone head is set lower to the shank.

Just google image search ‘engagement ring’ and you will see what I mean!

It will be more comfortable, functional, feminine.

Good luck with the ring 🙂

Post # 9
8342 posts
Bumble Beekeeper
  • Wedding: March 2014 - A castle

It looks like a really wide solitaire to me, that will fit a princess cut stone and has prong posts. I’m not sure if there’s a specific name for the style.

Not sure what you do for a living or if you plan to have children, but both those rings are really high! Lots of bees complain that their high profile rings are uncomfortable at their jobs (I had one and had to wear it under gloves and it dug in my fingers) or scratching their kids accidentally. It’s also likely to snag on clothing and hair. I think you’ll be able to find something just as ornate with a lower profile.

Another thing to consider is how you will incorporate a wedding band. With a setting that wide, if you have short fingers like I do it might be hard to get a wedding band in there.


Post # 10
159 posts
Blushing bee
  • Wedding: November 2013

[comment moderated for snark]

Post # 11
11356 posts
Sugar Beekeeper
  • Wedding: May 2009

I like the second one, but that is based on my assumption that the diamond actually would sit down inside the circular basket.  In that case, it probably wouldn’t be much higher than a cathedral setting (which I have.)  I think the second ring has some very beautiful detailing, and, in my opinion, it is a more elegant choice than the first option.

The topic ‘What is this setting called?’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors