Things I’m happy I splurged on:
– Venue. It was too expensive for my budget, honestly, but it was gorgeous and absolutely is what made our wedding memorable.
– Photographer. Our photos were great and our photographer was so unobtrusive that we barely noticed him or his assistant all night long.
– Food. We got so many compliments on how good the food tasted. I got to taste it myself and it was so, so yummy. That was really important to us.
– Premium Alcohol. I don’t know if it was a splurge, per se, but we definitely could’ve spent that $2k elsewhere. We made it a priority, though, because among our group of friends that’s an important element to a party, and it worked out really well, so I’m really glad we did that.
– Transportation. We rented a giant bus for all of our guests and, in light of all the alcohol and the short reception, are really glad that we did. We just got a town car for ourselves and didn’t need a bridal party limo because our reception and ceremony were in the same spot.
Things I’m glad I didn’t splurge on:
– Dress. I loved my dress, and I loved it even more since it cost a lot less than what I’d budgeted. Its alterations ended up being really expensive, which I hadn’t thought about initially.
– DJ. We had a DJ and we got him for a great price; he does it on the side and he did an amazing job.
– Cake. We did go to a professional bakery so we spent a few hundred dollars, but it wasn’t over-the-top by any means and it was delicious.
– Rentals. We spent a TON of money on just basic things like silverware, plates, linens, etc., and that easily could’ve doubled or tripled if I’d rented nicer chairs or china. I’m glad we didn’t because most people ate then abandoned their tables to dance.
– Flowers. We spent more on flowers than a lot of people do, I think, but it was still less than 1/20 of our final budget. They were very pretty but they just weren’t that important to me, so I was glad to save that money for other things.
– Videography. We had a friend who does videography give this to us as a gift, and although I’m so glad that we get to see it and so grateful for the present, I’m glad we didn’t spend a few thousand on it.