(Closed) What kind of PCP should I look for?

posted 8 years ago in Wellness
Post # 3
2792 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: May 2011

I wanted the same thing, but I have two separate ones. My PCP is in Internal Medicine, which is pretty general and probably your best bet. Good luck!

Post # 4
19 posts
  • Wedding: August 2010

I go to a family practice doctor and she is awesome. Kids aren’t in my plan anytime soon, but at least with a family practice doctor I would be able to use her if I wanted. My PCP does all of the ob/gyn stuff to. 

Post # 5
1774 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: September 2009

I am in family practice which is exactly what you want- it’s the only specialty with both primary care and gyn training.  FPs are trained in all areas, including gyn and birth control.  They all have to do OB training, but the vast majority do not do OB in practice.  Internal medicine physicians are not trained in gynecology (and several other things FPs are trained in).  It is possible to have an IM who has done a little bit of gyn as an elective/added training, but I have never heard of an internal medicine physician having as much gyn training as the bare minimum requirement for FP. 

Post # 6
687 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: July 2011

I go to a nurse practitioner and she is my PCP and does all my gyno stuff too. 

The topic ‘What kind of PCP should I look for?’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors