(Closed) What kind of perks & upgrades did you get on your honeymoon?

posted 9 years ago in Honeymoons
Post # 3
541 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: October 2009

I’m going to tag along on this post. I’m curious about this too.

Post # 4
898 posts
Busy bee

Me, too. i was going to test this out on our last vacation, but decided karma will come back for me for being immoral. I’m curious.

Post # 5
6009 posts
Bee Keeper
  • Wedding: May 2009

We told the flight attendant on our flight to London.  The plane was packed, so she couldn’t bump us to first class, but she did bring us two glasses of champagne.  πŸ™‚  Also, we told this waiter at a resort in Germany.  The whole week we were there he kept upgrading us to the 1 liter glasses of beer with our dinner instead of the .5 liter glasses.  We liked him a lot!

Post # 6
3332 posts
Sugar bee

You know what, I was going into our mini-moon thinking we might get some extras because we were newlyweds.  I thought by dropping the fact that it was our honeymoon, we might get some sort of small perks–like a better table at our dinner reservation or some free champane or something.  I mentioned it a couple of times casually, to the concierge at the hotel and the hostess at restaurants.  However, we got absolutely ZIP–nothing “on the house” or extra. People commented nicely and congratulated us, so I guess that was nice. 

Not that we’re necessarily entitled to it and we had a totally wonderful time without it.  I just expected a little more because you’re always hearing stories about people getting upgraded because they’re honeymooners.

Post # 7
699 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: June 2009

We did get a few little things before we left (free glases of wine) but most people on our plane were on their honeymoon too! πŸ™‚ We would just straight up tell people “we just got married!”

We got a lot of stuff when we first got engaged, though. We got free drinks at the hotel/bar where we got engaged and if we ever have the same waitress or she is there, she comes to talk to us and gets us free stuff. We also are regulars at a restaurant and when they found out we got engaged, they brought champaigne to the whole room we were in and toasted to us. It was a lot of fun!

Post # 8
1718 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: June 2008 - Winery in the Gold Country

We let our all inclusive resort know it was our honeymoon… I think they actually asked “what is your reason for staying”. It got us a free bottle of champagne, and special desserts (like Bananas Foster) at a few of the restaurants at the resort. I think most hotels (Especially all inclusives) will at the least send a bottle of champagne to your room if they are aware it’s your honeymoon!

Post # 9
196 posts
Blushing bee
  • Wedding: October 2009

My Future Brother-In-Law that just went to Mexico on his honeymoon last month got upgraded to first class both ways!   I’m hoping that happens to us – we’re traveling on Tuesdays so fingers crossed we do! πŸ™‚

Post # 10
2681 posts
Sugar bee

We got perks through the resert that had a honeymoon package.  You just had to let them know you were on your honeymoon and show a copy of the wedding license. This was all free at our resort if you stayed 7 days or more (they had a different package for less nights).  We got a private dinner on the beach at sunset (only us and one other table like 50 yards away), a couples massage, flowers in our room every day, champagne breakfast in bed and a hand drawn bubble bath

Post # 11
7082 posts
Busy Beekeeper
  • Wedding: July 2009

We really didn’t get much for being newlyweds except some hearty congratulations, but I suppose that’s the risk of going to a National Park for your honeymoon.

Actually, now that I think about it, we did get to stay at a campground that was already full on our first night because the campground hosts took pity on us… so I guess that was a little perk πŸ™‚

Post # 12
14186 posts
Honey Beekeeper

Nothing. Everybody else on our resort was a honeymooner, too, so it wasn’t exactly a unique thing =]. The lady next to us on the airplane gushed about my ring loudly enough for people to turn around and congratulate us, but it was a tiny airplane.

Our hotel honeymoon package was nice, though! It did come with 7 night stay. We got a private dinner with champagne (we opted for wine) and rose petals and a special meal, breakfast in the room (no biggee really) and everybody was just real nice to us and all the Dominicans were like, “you drink the Mama Juana and make honeymoon baby!”

Post # 13
1573 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: August 2009

I’m in a long distance relationship so sadly didnt get perks with him

but I was at a summer street fair, this guy gave me one of his awesome black and white photography t-shirts for free first he discounted it for me it was end of the day and I went back, then I said great because i’m getting married and need a bargain, so he gave it for free woo-hoo

another time I was out with the girls after my bridal shower, the bartender had an extra sangria and gave it to me for free my friend said its her bridal shower thanks–but I think he gave it free because he thought I was cute or it was end of the night and he wanted to score

other times, people give in to me when I bargain I say I’m getting married and its easier to bargain; I.e I was selling my orphan earrings I raised the price because I was getting married and needed the money, they gave in

but I use the I’m getting married card a lot to get lower rates wherever I go-it certainly does the trick

plus we got upgraded, our resort got closed so I told the agent it was our honeymoon and she gave an extra effort to put us in the honeymoon suite in sandals in st lucia–think that was the best status dropping perk

Post # 14
2681 posts
Sugar bee

@ejs4y8 – where in Dominican did you go?  I was at Punta Cana Excellence.  Did you like the Mama Juana?  I had one at the resort and it was so bad it made my eyes tear up!  But we had one at one of the shops outside the resort run by a really nice English couple where they made it fresh every morning and it was really good!  They did shows at our resort and they would give Mama Juana as a prize to the people who participated telling them to go back to the room, turn on channel 21 and make a baby πŸ™‚

Post # 15
937 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: September 2009

I’m shameless, I plan on dropping it everywhere we go on our honeymoon, LOL! I’ve never flown first class or stayed in an upgraded room so what the heck, I’m telling everyone!

Post # 16
68 posts
Worker bee

I am totally shameless, and noted that we were planning our honeymoon when I booked hotels.  We got a free bottle of champagne, glasses of wine, and in-room desserts from different hotels.  We also got lots of rose petals scattered on the bed, etc.  No luck on upgrading our flights though, since the planes were full.  

The topic ‘What kind of perks & upgrades did you get on your honeymoon?’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors