(Closed) What Makes Exposing Ring Stats & Worth On WeddingBee Such An Offensive Act?

posted 7 years ago in Rings
Post # 3
212 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: April 2011

Perhaps it was the context in which I shared the information.

^I’d say it’s exactly that.

Post # 4
6892 posts
Busy Beekeeper
  • Wedding: March 2012

I don’t see any issue with it, if it’s in a situation where it’s warranted. Granted, I’ve been pretty absent from Weddingbee as of late (Yeah, considering my last post I made was about being sick of planning, go figure) so I have no idea what thread you’re talking about or what context it was in.

Anyways. I think if that’s what the topic is about or if someone asks, it’s totally both warranted and normal. Now if in every thread about someone’s ring they were like “This is my ring that cost X amount and that makes it super awesome!” Then I’d be like Okay, I get it already, but I don’t imagine I’d lash out. A lot of this may have to do with me generally not giving a crap how much more or less someone’s ring costs than mine. Lol.

Post # 5
2091 posts
Buzzing bee

I just think it’s unnecessary. Unless the thread is something like “post your ring, stats, and cost!” no one needs to know anything other than that it’s pretty.

Post # 6
1645 posts
Bumble bee

It’s not offensive, per se. But there are lots of threads that are strictly for that purpose. 

You know–“Hey what’s everyone got? Let’s show them off!”

The thread you’re referring to wasn’t one of those. It never asked about anyone else, just shoved down everyone’s throats how great OPs ring was. 

So, yeah…it was show-offy and it left a bad taste in people’s mouths. Including mine.

But then again I’ll repeat what I put on the other thread, that poster has made TWO POSTS. Both talking about how her ring is better blah blah, and hasn’t said anything else anywhere else. Nor has she re-appeared. Looks like her aim was simple. She stirred the pot well.

Post # 7
686 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: May 2011

I agree….how is posting the price of your ring ANY different than all the threads about costs of dress, budget, catering, flowers, etc?   I have seen SO MANY posts about costs of dresses, it makes me sick!   lol   Why is it such a sore subject when it comes to rings??  I just don’t get it!    And it’s always the ones who have an expensive ring that get blasted, get called “spoiled, bragger, boaster, etc.”   We are all… in a sense….”bragging” when we share exciting details about our rings or dresses!

Post # 8
686 posts
Busy bee

I read that post…and she did not say that her ring was “better”.  She said she gets a lot of compliments on it, got a good deal on it, and was suprised that she liked it since it was significantly smaller than she thought she wanted.  Quality vs. Quantity is what she said.

Post # 10
1325 posts
Bumble bee

I don’t get why we ladies generally (WARNING blanket statement) can’t talk about rings without it turning into a fight/argument/general unpleasantness.

I swear. I have no data to back this up, I don’t think there is a need to collect it, but it seems like the majority of posts about rings end up nasty somehow somewhere. Many times I’m left wondering “WTF? How did this even happen?” 

Then again, perhaps I am only reading the ring threads with drama. *shrug*

Post # 11
686 posts
Busy bee

@Tunacupcakes: To be honest…It’s probably just jealousy

Post # 12
899 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: July 2013

(a) context, (b) tone in which the information is shared, (c) sometimes people randomly (it seems to me) get offended/annoyed by a posting which seems to me to be perfectly polite and well intentioned. Once that happens, loads of other people jump on the bandwagon and the poster gets a whole load of aggro they weren’t expecting. (I’m thinking of a specific thread a month or so ago, not the most recent one which I haven’t read fully.)

Post # 14
2091 posts
Buzzing bee

@jenroh1984: Speaking solely for myself here, it is most definitely not jealousy. 

I hate when people use that as a way to explain away people being anything other than nice.

Post # 15
3982 posts
Honey bee
  • Wedding: July 2011

I don’t understand why people las out but at the same time I don’t understand why it matters where our rings were bought, the size or type or presence of a stone, and especially how much it cost. I like to give the hive the benefit of the doubt and believe we all love our rings more for what they stand for. Not any of the “stats”. I love my ring because it has meaning. I love my ring because Mr. Hedgie gave it to me and when he looked at it he saw me. I know where it came from. I don’t know how much it cost or the exact stone size, clarity, or anything like that. Not really important. What is MOST important is that when I look at it I get excited knowing that it means Mr. Hedgie and I are getting married! At that moment, nothing else matters.

The topic ‘What Makes Exposing Ring Stats & Worth On WeddingBee Such An Offensive Act?’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors