Post # 1
I have three venue appointments this weekend and I’m making a list of things to remember to ask at each of them. These are all places where were we are booking the ceremoney, reception and food in one (two catering halls and a hotel).
I know I have some of the obvious questions down, like what is/isn’t included, fee schedule, timing of the event, and capacity. What are the important but maybe less obvious things to ask about? For those of you who have already been through it, what do you wish you had brought up with your venue before booking?
Post # 3
Is the bar open during dinner?
we had to specify that we wanted ours open during dinner. A lot of places will close it.
Post # 4
– Ask if they offer any packages and if they don’t you can ask about creating your own. Don’t be afraid to mix and match. We took our 3rd entree option and swaped it for an hors douerves.
– How early can you or vendors access the venue to set up?
– Will the venue set up your centerpieces, etc.? If so how much do they charge?
– Ask if there any rules about brining in outside food. Some places will not let you bring anything home-made.
– Do they have a bridal suite.
– Is there a fee for cake cutting and serving? Sometimes there is and sometimes it’s included in the package. Same thing applies with a toast. Some places will charge you extra to rent champagne glasses.
– When discussing the alcohol portion of the bar, ask about including only people 21 an up. Most places I’ve found will charge a flat rate for everyone for the bar. To me, this is very silly since only people 21 and up can have alcohol. I was able to get a discounted price for people 21 and under. AND if I wanted to upgrade the bar, I only pay for the people over 21 and not everyone.
Post # 5
1. Do you charge for employee meals?
2. Do you provided discounted meals for vendors?
3. Do you have a separate place for vendors to eat their meals?
4. Do you offer a complimentary food tasting? (so you can taste the food and decide what to provide)
5. Do you provide coat check?
6. Do you provide parking?
7. Do you hire security? (Some places require mandatory security, so that’s an extra cost for you)
8. Find out about the automatic gratuity percentage and what it’s applied to (For example my reception venue charges 22% gratuity for anything food and beverage related but not for things like chair rentals)
9. Do you provide a projector screen and a projector (in case you want to do a slideshow – we got our reception venue to let us use theirs for no cost)
10. Is there a set time everyone has to be out of the venue?
11. How many bartenders do you staff? (No one wants a super long line while waiting for drinks)
Those are just some that I can think of off the top of my head! Good luck!
Post # 6
I was advised to make sure we were the only wedding that day.