I was just thinking about brisket (because we are making it tonight) and saw somebody’s post about it. That got me thinking. I never made brisket before Mr. Hedgie. I never had latkes or Tzimmies, or Kugal, or all sorts of foods until I met him. But I love all these things! So, I was wondering, what other foods/recipes do you guys not use and love because of your SO?
This is our (well, his mothers but I improved on it) brisket recipe that is to DIE for.
approx. 3lbs brisket FLAT CUT
red currant jelly ( or any kind of jelly that sounds good at the time.)
1 pkg. beefy onion soup mix (use plain onion soup mix if you cant find the beefy onion one)
red wine (for cooking and drinking)
1. Line a roasting pan or large deep rectangular pan with heavy duty aluminum foil, or use LOTS of regular foil.
You will need to seal in the brisket very well, so use a lot of foil.
2. Trim fat off brisket as much as possible, then place brisket in the pan.
3. Sprinkle on soup mix over meat.
4. Spread on currant jelly, about 1/3 to 1/2 jar.
5. Pour ketchup over the meat. Enough to cover all of it.
6. Pour 1/2 to 3/4 cup wine over meat.
7. Cover with foil and SEAL WELL!! Gravy will make a mess, and brisket wont turn out as well if it isnt well-sealed.
8. Cook in oven at 325 degrees for 3 1/2 hours.
9. When it if fully cooked, slice in the pan and let rest until cooled. It will marinade in its juices and come out pure heaven.
(Momma hedgie always slices it, covers and cools it until the next day where she reheats and serves. I am too impatient for that and believe it tastes good right out of the pan the first day!)