(Closed) What relaxing songs did you/will you listen to during L&D?

posted 6 years ago in Pregnancy
Post # 3
2027 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: November 1999

I’ve been thinking about mine some lately, and here’s what I have so far:

1. To Build a Home – The Cinematic Orchestra

2. Blood – The Middle East

3. Lots of Bon Iver!

4. Lots of Iron and Wine (the baby seems to love when I play them. He starts kicking everytime.)

5. First Day of My Life – Bright Eyes

6. I Found a Reason – Cat Power

7. A Lack of Color – Death Cab

8. Green Eyes – Coldplay

9. Lots of Elliot Smith

10. Today – Joshua Radin 

11. Probably a bit of Radiohead

12. Runaway – The National

13. While We Were Dreaming – Pink Mountaintops

I’m interested to hear what others are using. 

Post # 4
638 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: April 2007

So to each their own on this one ๐Ÿ™‚ Mine weren’t exactly relaxing but I enjoyed them! My doula recommended music with no words and one of my favorite instrumental CD’s I have is Irish Folk music. We probably listened to Leahy on repeat 3-4 time during active labor, transition, and delivery. I guess it worked for me because those 2-3 hours were so intense! I’m not sure I would have wanted something slower. But I was also drug free so it was a wild ride – not really relaxing ๐Ÿ™‚

Post # 5
1487 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: October 2010

I haven’t even started to work on mine (I’ve started to think about it, but I’m hitting a brick wall)  However, Darling Husband wants to put the Rocky theme song on there for when I get frustrated and start saying I can’t do it.

I can’t tell if he’s joking.

Post # 6
554 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: August 2011

@pinky44:  I don’t know what I will use but I must say, I love all of the artists/songs you selected ๐Ÿ™‚ 

Post # 7
2027 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: November 1999

@orvis18:  Thanks! I think To Build a Home is the perfect song to be playing while you’re actually giving birth. Strange, but I can totally see myself using the song to get through the last leg of it.

I know some people request a song to be playing at that point, but I can’t imagine stopping what you’re doing so you can turn of a CD player. 

Post # 8
3363 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: September 2009

Gosh, I haven’t thought of this.  I am thinking I might do better without music? 

Post # 9
111 posts
Blushing bee
  • Wedding: April 2012

Quietserenity – that is too funny! I am not pregnant or even trying yet but I had to add that several years ago a friend of mine was in labor and the hospital just had the radio on and she swears that the song playing as the baby was born was Yazz ‘The only way is up, baby!” It was years ago so that song was probably in circulation then.

Post # 10
2589 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: September 2012

Totemic Flute Chants by Johnny Whitehorse – gets me through any and all stressful things.

You end up totally zoning out when you listen to it. 

Post # 11
3482 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: February 2011

I’d YouTube of Sarah McLachlan’s stuff and see if there are any of her songs you’d like. I find her voice incredibly laid-back and relaxing.

I’d also recommend “When You Dream” by the Barenaked Ladies (really sweet song about wondering what’s going through a newborn’s head as he sleeps). And “Comptine d’un Autre Ete” from the Amelie movie soundtrack is just a beautiful instrumental piece of music.

Post # 12
2201 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: August 2010

I keep waffling between wanting a CD with relaxing music and a CD to get me pumped up and energized. Maybe I need two playlists so I can be relaxed for most of it, then pumped up for the “final countdown” (ha – I think I now need to have that song on the list!).

I’m a big fan of Sarah Brightman, so she might be on my relaxing portion – I played her CD a lot when I was teaching Pilates.

Post # 13
7587 posts
Bumble Beekeeper
  • Wedding: December 2010

Darling Husband has decided he’s in charge of this. Our hospital has an ipod doc which has made this quite a bit easier. 

@Goldilocks1107:  He’s planning a couple different style play lists depending upon how feel. 

Post # 14
3773 posts
Honey bee
  • Wedding: December 1999

I thought with both of mine I would want some calming noise or music, but when the time came I turned into a STFU, don’t even make noise breathing kind of monster-ok not really, but I really found noise distracting and prefered it to be quiet during contractions. I  would bring the IPOD just in case, but don’t spend too much time on it.

Post # 15
7293 posts
Busy Beekeeper
  • Wedding: October 2011

Just as a random story:

My aunt made a CD list she thought she would just love during labor. By the time things got serious , she was yelling ‘ Turn that Sh*t off!! ” No one could talk to her or anything. lol oh the joys of labor!

The topic ‘What relaxing songs did you/will you listen to during L&D?’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors