(Closed) What shape is my dress?

posted 5 years ago in Dress
  • poll: What shape is this dress now?
    A-line : (45 votes)
    47 %
    Fit and flare : (50 votes)
    53 %
  • Post # 3
    1150 posts
    Bumble bee
    • Wedding: June 2014

    My first thought was modified A-line. It’s not quite as fitted as what I consider fit & flare. However, keep in mind that the terms modified A-line, fit & flare, and trumpet can all mean very similar things.

    Post # 4
    924 posts
    Busy bee
    • Wedding: April 2015

    I agree, I would call it a slim A-line

    Post # 5
    5423 posts
    Bee Keeper
    • Wedding: November 2012

    I say trumpet

    Post # 6
    1980 posts
    Buzzing bee
    • Wedding: March 2014

    Slim a-line. It’s hard to tell how fitted it is because it looks like you are pushing it tighter with your hand on your thigh. If it’s really that close, then I would say it is closer to a fit & flare

    Post # 8
    3340 posts
    Sugar bee
    • Wedding: April 2013 - Rhode Island

    It looks like fit and flare to me because it’s fitted through your hips and upper thighs.  A-line would fall straight from your waist.

    Post # 9
    278 posts
    Helper bee
    • Wedding: June 2014

    @Christy42213:  i agree with this comment, it is definetly a fit and flare because it is fitted at your hips. I think that its really similar to the shape of the girls dress in the other photos you posted.

    Post # 10
    11113 posts
    Sugar Beekeeper
    • Wedding: June 2011

    @Dressgal: My dress was a fit n flare and I don’t think yours in comparison is as I don’t see a flare. I agree with @Jen041815: and would say a slim A- line.

    Post # 11
    9549 posts
    Buzzing Beekeeper
    • Wedding: August 2013

    The term “A-line” skirt refers to the fact that the skirt looks like the letter A. By definiton, an A line has a straight line from hip to hem. Your skirt definitely changes angles at the knee so the skirt does not make a straight line from hip to hem, therefore it is not an A line skirt. I would call this a fit and flare. But I don’t really know what “modified A-line” means.

    But I don’t really think it matters what you call it. What matters is how you look and I think you look great! If you want to have it a little tighter, you could ask your seamstress about taking it in, but I would keep in mind that you will have to walk and sit and dance and breath in this, so don’t get it too tight! However, if what you want is not tighter but with more of a flare at the bottom, that’s a simple fix – you just need a crinoline that flares at the knee.


    Post # 13
    8471 posts
    Bumble Beekeeper
    • Wedding: July 2012

    I don’t think it looks A-line at all. I’d say fit and flare. 

    Post # 14
    9549 posts
    Buzzing Beekeeper
    • Wedding: August 2013

    @Dressgal:  A crinoline is an underskirt that has stiff layers of tulle fabric that creat volume for a skirt. You wear it under your dress and it makes the skirt more poofy. For your dress you’d want one that is poofy starting around the knee. This is a very easy fix. Call around to local bridal stores and ask if they carry fit and flare crinolines (or whatever they call a crinoline where the tulle starts around the knee). Then take your dress (in a safe carrier bag) into the salon and try it on. See if that fixes the problem.

    The topic ‘What shape is my dress?’ is closed to new replies.

    Find Amazing Vendors