(Closed) What sounds the best to announce the new Mr. & Mrs. at the reception?

posted 8 years ago in Reception
Post # 3
1129 posts
Bumble bee

First one.  🙂  You should add a poll!

Post # 4
1569 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: March 1996

This is a personal decision for couples to make, but the most traditional way is to say “Mr. and Mrs. Jones” or “Mr. and Mrs. Jack Jones.” I wanted to be announced as “Mr. and Mrs. Jack and Jill Jones” because it’s important to me to show that I’m not assuming my husband’s first name, so I specifically told our pastor and our DJ to say it that way.

I heard of someone writing it into their DJ’s contract that if he announced them as Mr. and Mrs. Jack Jones that he’d owe a full refund. People feel passionately about this!

Post # 5
2249 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: March 2018

We just did the last name, but i think try them out, say them outloud and decide.

Post # 6
1518 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: September 2010

Mr. & Mrs. Jack & Jill Jones

Post # 7
2288 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: November 2010

I personally despise the Mr. & Mrs. Jack Jones thing because I feel that it forgets that this is a partnership….anyhoo, I like Mr. and Mrs. Jones OR Jack and Jill Jones, which is most likely what we’re going with since there will already be several Mr. and Mrs. Jones present!

Post # 8
208 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: October 2010

I prefer ‘Mr. & Mrs. Jack & Jill Jones.’

Post # 9
13096 posts
Honey Beekeeper
  • Wedding: July 2010

We did Mr. and Mrs. John Doe at the end of the formal ceremony and then Jane and John Doe as we entered the more casual, fun reception.

As a side note – I know some people seem to prefer it as Mr. and Mrs. John and Jane Doe but I’m pretty sure that that isn’t even a grammatically correct way to ever say it.  (And by grammatically – i mean it’s improper use of english basically).  But to each there own I guess.

Also, if you are taking your husband’s last name then, socially, you would be either Mrs. John Doe or Jane Doe.  Mrs. Jane Doe would be used to refer to a divorced woman.  Don’t think I’d want to be refered to as a divorced woman on my wedding day!

Post # 10
2476 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: June 2010

We did “Mr. & Mrs. Jack & Jill Jones”… the first option sounds like we’re introducing DH’s parents.  🙂

Post # 11
1184 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: August 2011

is it weird that i don’t even want to be announced at the reception? i definitely don’t want to annonce the whole bridal party as they come in….i always hate when i’m a bridesmaid and the dj wants you to “make a big entrance” (i may have had a traumatic experience with this in the past…think being twirled across the dance floor and crashing into another GM). i guess i just need to get over the whole not liking everyone’s eyes on me thing, because i’m pretty sure that’s what this whole wedding is about.

Post # 12
50 posts
Worker bee

I’d go for Mr. and Mrs. Jack and Jill Jones.

What about those of us who aren’t changing our names? Anyone know the protocol there?

Post # 13
2004 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: November 2008

For those looking to avoid this last name conundrum, there’s always “Welcome to the newly married couple, John and Jane!” I went with “Welcome to Mr. & Mrs. John and Jane Doe” at my wedding.

Also, if you have androgynous names and are going for a Mr. & Mrs. John Doe approach, make sure your emcee knows which one of you is John. My sister-in-law got announced as “Mr. & Mrs. Jane Doe” at her wedding because she and her husband both have androgynous names (think “Taylor” and “Cameron”). It was quite funny.

Post # 14
12 posts
Newbee
  • Wedding: October 2010

What if your future hubby is a Doctor and you are not? It’s proper to announce it: “Dr. and Mrs. Doe”, but does that sound pretentious? We don’t want to come off that way, but he also worked his butt off for that DR.!

Post # 15
13096 posts
Honey Beekeeper

I don’t think saying Dr. sounds pretentious!!  He earned it and deserves the title!

Post # 16
687 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: July 2011

what about if you are the dr. and he isnt? now introducing Mr. and Dr. John and Jill Doe??

The topic ‘What sounds the best to announce the new Mr. & Mrs. at the reception?’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors