Post # 1
Looking for some thoughts here. We are having a Friday wedding to save money. I realize this is a bit selfish since Friday weddings are definitely tough for everyone to take off work to attend, but most of our guests are Out of Town, so they are having to take off work regardless. However, I still have some family/friends locally that I don’t want to have to have them take off work if necessary. I am thinking of starting the ceremony at 6 p.m. Do you think that is too early? We only have the venue till 10 p.m. I really want to be able to enjoy plenting of the evening. Have any of you ever been to a Friday wedding? What time do you think it is appropriate to start?
Would love some feedback!!
Post # 3
I would say 6:30, actually. If I were having a Friday wedding, I would have found a venue that I could have had until midnight. That way, I could have started things later. Are you doing an afterparty?
Post # 4
We were planning a Friday evening wedding originally, and were going to start everything around 6:30 to give people a bit more time.
Post # 5
Ya I like a later time. Otherwise people are going to have to take time off of work for your wedding. I think most of the women will still have too, but the men won’t if you do 6:30 or 7
Post # 6
We’re having a Friday wedding and it will start at 6pm.
Post # 7
Our wedding was on a Friday this past October. And we had it at 4pm. Worked out great. Everyone was there and we wanted to get married outside and this was the weekend right before daylight savings, so this is why we had it at 4pm.
We partied until 9:30 and it was perfect. Are you getting married in or out? I see it’s in March, so I would assume inside and 6pm sounds lovely.
Post # 8
I voted 7PM cause it wouldn’t require me to take too much time off work. I could go home and change and I wouldn’t feel rushed getting to the ceremony on time.
Post # 9
I think with enough notice a “early” Friday wedding isn’t an issue at all.
I voted for 5pm as this is what we are doing! Somewhere around 60% of our guests are traveling to be here anyway so an early start time won’t bother them and of the other 40% 1/2 are our bridal party &/or immediate family who will be taking the day with us (and the evening before) no matter what anyway and another 10% either works 3rd shift (and so will take the night off no matter what) or has Fridays off anyway!
Post # 10
Thanks for the thoughts, everyone! I am really leaning toward 6 p.m. that way it won’t be a huge deal for those who still have to work (and there is only a handful that I know of.) I am just getting ready to order invites and need to know a time to put on there. I wish I could do it earlier in the evening like some of you mentioned you were doing. That would be ideal just so we could enjoy the venue longer. We are having an after party though too, so that will give everyone a bit more time to have fun!
Post # 11
I went to a Friday wedding over the summer that started at 6pm. Everyone still had to get off work early and rush to get there. At least one guy was late because of traffic and missed the whole ceremony. The later the better.
Post # 12
I think 6:00pm is just fine. You are giving them plenty of notice, should be ample time to request time off or leave early.
Post # 13
We’re having a friday wedding and only have our venue until 11 so we’re having our ceremony at 4.
I’ve talked to the majority of my guests about it and no one has complained. I even apologized to a few and they were like, “no it doesn’t matter at all”.
Finally we are going to have our rsvps worded so that those who cannot get off work can just come to the reception and know we will not be offended. =)
Post # 14
WOW, i must be mad. we are having a friday wedding and the ceremony is at 10.30am, yes 10.30am. we plan on a wedding breakfast around 1.30pm in the afternoon alot of the oldies (bless em, and parents) are going home for a rest before returning for the evening reception but alot of our friends are staying when we are having a casino to entertain them before the evening reception till midnight!
it was the only day we could get our venue and thats the only time they do ceremonies at. none of our friends or family have refused to attend or mentioned any problems with a friday wedding. i think regardless of the time your friends etc will make time to celebrate your special day and they have alot of notice!
go for earlier and make a day of it!!! 🙂
Post # 15
Our Friday wedding is starting at 5:30. The majority of our guests are very local to our venue (20 minutes or so). I’m sure most will end up having to leave work early but oh well. If they want to be there, they will be there regardless of what time it starts.
Post # 16
I couldn’t possibly make it to a 6pm Friday wedding if I worked that day, but I certainly wouldn’t mind taking off work to attend the wedding of someone I really like!