(Closed) What to do? My “Fit & Flare” gown turned into a sloppy Mermaid?

posted 7 years ago in Dress
Post # 3
642 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: August 2012

Your dress is beutiful. It doesn’t look sloppy if looks like you need to have it fitted to you  just a little bit. Before you stress out about it you should bring it to someone to have an alteration consultation. It really does not look that much different from the sample gown.  

Post # 4
135 posts
Blushing bee
  • Wedding: February 2012

Girl, you don’t look wide. You look fabulous and curvy. I don’t think it looks sloppy or mermaid–definitely fit and flare. I can barely tell a difference between the two. Good luck!

Post # 5
7901 posts
Bumble Beekeeper
  • Wedding: March 2012 - Pelican Grand Beach Resort

I think you are overanalyzing. The point of flare on the skirt does not seem that different. I was expecting to see a full mermaid, and I would definitely call yours modified or trumpet. As for the fit, that’s a matter of alterations.

Post # 6
1488 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: April 2012

Maybe it’s just me but I fail to see a difference (?)

Post # 7
964 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: June 2012

Does NOT look sloppy. Maybe just needs taken in a little. WORK IT!

Post # 8
1508 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: October 2009

Maybe a crinoline under the very bottom part would help flare it out a bit more?

Post # 9
358 posts
Helper bee

I had a very similar situation with the sample fitting me so much better than my actual dress. I just couldnt stand to stress about it anymore so I just took my dress in to my local seamstress (not where I would have the real alterations done) to just get an opinion and idea of what she could do. She ended up pinning the dress a little and talked me over what could be done. I left feeling so much better about my dress. Alterations can make your dress into exactly what you want. I say take her in to a seamstress and see what she can do.

Post # 10
3000 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: July 2012

I think it looks great and fits you perfectly. You have nothing to worry about!

Post # 11
679 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: August 2012

Honestly, you look great in that dress.  When I look at it, I think elegant.

You could try and add a bit of “poof” at the bottom with some type of crinoline, but either way, the dress looks great.

Post # 12
491 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: April 2012

I think it’s beautiful! Maybe needs to be a little more cinched at the waist but it is definitely beautiful on you.

Post # 13
5271 posts
Bee Keeper
  • Wedding: October 2009

It may be just the lighting in the picture, but in the first one it looks like you have a belt or strip of material that is right under your bust. If you arn’t wearing a belt, then one of the folds is lying perfectly horizontal.

In your bottom pictures, you no longer have that horizontal lay under the bust.

I do think that the apperance of a belt or by laying the material straight across in the first picture, makes your waist look smaller (think about when you wear a shirt that cinches right under the boobs and then lays flat across your belly (gives the look of bigger boobs, smaller waist, flatter tummy, same effect.)

If you can’t fold the material to lay like your sample, perhaps try a belt just to see if you achieve the look you had in your mind initially.

Post # 14
913 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: April 2014

Oh, I like your actual dress more than the sample! I think it looks great, but you have to love it.

Post # 15
385 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: October 2011

I agree with PPs. I see little difference in the sample and actual gown. Both look stunning on you!

Post # 16
915 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: December 2012

I love it on you! I can see what you mean about it looking sloppy, it just think its exactly what you said, it wasn’t clamped tightly like the sample. Once altered it should fit exactly like the picture you love. Def talk to the seamstress but I think the dress is so beautiful and looks perfect on you!

The topic ‘What to do? My “Fit & Flare” gown turned into a sloppy Mermaid?’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors