(Closed) What to do re: semi-destination wedding & a reception back home

posted 7 years ago in Destination Weddings
Post # 3
817 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: September 2011

I know some people who have done this and only invited a small group of people to the wedding, had some sort of wording in their invitation that mentions either a “private” or “intimate” gathering of your closest friends and family (so that those people know that it’s semi-private and hopefully keep it that way). Then you will send everyone on your original list the information about the reception only.

However, I think in your case that you could go ahead and invite everyone on your original list to the ceremony, but you’d definitely want to be pretty clear that it’s a small, intimate celebration of your marriage. If you make the part about your ceremony a smaller text and have more information and bigger text about your reception, people will get the point.

(And by Northern MI, do you mean the Upper Peninsula?)

Post # 4
170 posts
Blushing bee
  • Wedding: August 2010

@emster83: I am a little confused – would you be inviting just family to the ceremony and intimate reception or would it be family and close friends? That makes a huge difference I think.

Post # 6
1 posts
Wannabee
  • Wedding: September 2012

I am so glad to see that someone else is having SUCH a similar question. As a matter of fact, I found this posting through Google, and just signed up for a weddingbee account so I could participate in this thread.

I am from southwestern Michigan, and am in a very similar situation — my Fiance and I love Northern Michigan (including the UP), but feel obligated to get married in a location that will allow close family & friends to be there.

Have you made any further decisions since your last posting? I am interested to see what you come up with. We are currently thinking of having a small ceremony up north, and then a big reception in or near our hometown. I was just reading on some sample invitations about how to use the wording for a reception only, such as:

Mr. and Mrs. Bob Smith
and Mr. and Mrs. Don Jones
request the pleasure of your company
at the marriage reception of their children
Mary Sue Smith
and
Billy Joe Jones
when they return as husband and wife
from a private ceremony
in Michigan’s Upper Peninsula
Saturday, October 6, 2008
at six o’clock in the evening
Community Hall
Kalamazoo, Michigan

The topic ‘What to do re: semi-destination wedding & a reception back home’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors