Post # 1
GAH! My SO and i had planned/talked about moving in with each other. I thought we had decided to do so around Mayish time. He’s in the process of trying to get into nursing school and has to wait yet another 3 weeks to find out if he’s in or not. In the mean time he just told me that if he gets in, he doesn’t want to move in with me solely based on the fact that he doesn’t want to be a financial burden on me.
Ok, while, I appreciate that its’ not what I want. But in the same token, I can’t support him, myself and my son based on my salary. I can support myself and my son though. We moved back in with my parents last summer so that I could pay off my debt and save for a new place.
So the question is, if SO gets into school, do I move anyway and get my independence back or do I stay living with my parents to save more cash?
What would you do?
Post # 3
Your obligation is first and foremost to your son. While you may want to live with your SO, you need to make sure you can support yourself and your son in the event of emergency expenses. I say hold off until you and your SO are in a better financial situation.
Post # 4
@TamiN: If he goes to school, he won’t be moving in with me. I can afford to live on my own but i can’t afford to pay his bills on top of mine.
Post # 5
Sounds to me like the best thing to do is stay with your current situation and continue to save money.
Post # 6
If you dont mind living at home I probably would continue doing that so you can save even more money.
Post # 7
It may suck, but I think it is best to hold out and stay with your parents. I am living with my parents currents for the sole reason of saving money (they don’t want me living with him before marriage). It sucks, but I know it is temporary and I know I can get through it.