(Closed) What to do when your dress budget is *ahem* $300

posted 9 years ago in Dress
Post # 3
1573 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: July 2010

I was just going to suggest David’s Bridal.  Have you thought about having a seamstress make it? Anyway, try not to be upset about it.  You and your Fiance chose what is best for the two of you. Nobody can argue with that.  

Post # 4
1944 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: June 2009

What would you say your style is? Are you having a large wedding or small and intimate? It is totally doable and I recommend looking a JCrew, the have beautiful dresses or even I know some people who buy Ivory or white bridesmaid dresses. FWIW, my dress was under $100 and CAN wear it again and will next summer at our anniversary party! 🙂

Post # 5
53 posts
Worker bee
  • Wedding: January 2010

My budget is low. We don’t have much money and his family wasn’t really willing to help him get married. So we use DIY options. For dresses… ebay is good! There are some real nice ones from China and all over. Just be sure to get it larger that ya think cause you make it smaller a lot easier than make it larger. david’s bridal sometimes have that $99 dress sales. There are places like “Brides for Breast cancer” shows that go all over the US and they are designer gowns donated to sell for a lot less. It goes towards Cancer awarness. (Google it!) =) Use your friends, cousins, moms? You can always have it altered and fixed to your style and size. Another option.. make it! If your wedding isn’t too formal or something. Great patterns to follow!

I bought my dress from a friend that never got a chance to wear it. They had been engaged for a month and she found this dress she liked allright and then they broke up! She said she would never wear it if she got married. She sold it all to me.. petticoats, veil, and dress for $600. She paid over $1200 for it all. My budget was 800 so I get to alter it with a friend of my mom’s to be the dress of my dreams!

Good luck!! Let us know what and where ya find it! 

Post # 6
1084 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: September 2009

Check online shops, most have a decent return policy.  What I would do is go to a few bridal shops and try on dresses – see if they have any floor models they’d be willing to sell you.  If not, at least you know what style looks good on  you.  I think it’s important to try some on in person though because at least for me what I had in my head was different than what actually looked good on.  $300 may be pushing it even for selling off the floor, but some bridal shops have great clearance sales, I saw a lot up here in PA for under that price, especially at the smaller not super fancy boutiques.  If you can’t find anything in person, but have tried stuff on and know what looks good then go online. 

Lots of shops are selling wedding dresses now

http://www.dillards.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?catalogId=301&langId=-1&storeId=301&productId=501479911&N=1604013&searchUrl=%2Fendeca%2FEndecaStartServlet%3FN%3D1604013&R=02605851

http://www.dillards.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?catalogId=301&langId=-1&storeId=301&productId=500753341&N=1604013&searchUrl=%2Fendeca%2FEndecaStartServlet%3FN%3D1604013&R=01792249

http://shop.nordstrom.com/S/2984554/0~2376776~2374327~6005464~6005465?mediumthumbnail=Y&origin=category&searchtype=&pbo=6005465&P=1

http://shop.nordstrom.com/S/3038288/0~2376776~2374327~6005464~6005465?mediumthumbnail=Y&origin=category&searchtype=&pbo=6005465&P=1

http://shop.nordstrom.com/S/3012281/0~2376776~2374327~6005464~6005465?mediumthumbnail=Y&origin=category&searchtype=&pbo=6005465&P=2

Post # 7
3363 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: September 2009

The thing about David’s Bridal is that the dresses are relatively inexpensive…but they will rob you blind with alterations.  I saved several hundred dollars by getting my alterations done elsewhere.  Just keep in mind, wherever you go, dress shops pretty much make their money by charging obscene amounts for alterations.

Post # 8
161 posts
Blushing bee

Shop shop shop…My duaghter and I were ‘shopping’ for her dress…really just fooling around as we planned to shop with her Future Mother-In-Law. We were in a very expensive shop…she tried on a dress totally unlike anything on her inspiration boards just for the heck of it and we both new it was th one. she cried. I cried.  I couldn’t imagine the price. Imaginen my surprise to find out it was on sale and marked down to $200!  It’s beautiful. You can find lots of huge mark downs..this was more than 80%.  The funny end of the story is my daughter starts working at that shop next week…her second part time job for a full time studenT

Post # 9
3098 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: November 2009

I didn’t even have a budget, I just needed cheap. I wasn’t even going to buy a *real* wedding dress, b/c I couldn’t afford it. I found a dress on the classifieds here, a sample dress with tags still attached, for $85. With shipping, I paid $115 and then paid $200 in alterations. My dress was bought buy the original seller as a sample for $300, and it retailed for $800. It can be done!! I didn’t really get the luxury of the dress of my dreams, but it’s still a beautiful dress, within my means, and I’m happy! 🙂 

Post # 10
193 posts
Blushing bee
  • Wedding: December 2010

I say shop around.  Check online, check craigslist.  I actually was given a free wedding dress off craigslist.  I was going to wear it until I found my dream dress.  I got my dress off the marketplace on facebook.  It is brand new with tags, $1000 retail price.  I got it for $50, $80 after shipping.  It was a wedding that was called off.  Depending on your style and your size, I can offer you the free wedding dress I was going to wear, just pay for shipping.

Post # 11
31 posts
Newbee
  • Wedding: December 1969

I got my dress from Milly Bridal and I love it. I just went to try on different styles in the salons and asked if Milly Bridal if they could do a custom dress. I got my dress for about $300 and I did not need alterations since it was custom made. I took a risk getting my dress made in China, but it paid off and I saved so much money.

Post # 12
45 posts
Newbee
  • Wedding: December 1969

I second the J.Crew suggestion!  I stalked their sale section for a few weeks and got my dress for less than $80 — and because their size charts are pretty accurate and they offer petite/tall sizing, I didn’t need any alterations.  

I also think Nordstrom’s online selection is awesome if you are looking for a simple, elegant gown — they have a “Wedding Shop” link and most of the dresses are under $200.  

Post # 13
461 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: March 2009

check out local salons , we have one locally that had very VERY affordable dresses. Have you checked out the classifieds here?? 

Post # 15
888 posts
Busy bee

i found my beautiful romona keveza dress on ebay – it cost 325 inlc shipping.

one trick is to look for listings marked “buy it now or best offer”.  they wanted 500 for my dress, i made my best offer 300 and SOLD!  it was a sample from a bridal store going out of business in near perfect condition. 

if you know which designers you like look for those on ebay.  i was shocked at what i could find! 

this is a lovely maggie sottero for 399 or best offer just as an example and they seem to have a return policy- http://cgi.ebay.com/Maggie-Sottero-Genevieve-Wedding-Dress-in-Size-10_W0QQitemZ310165280062QQcmdZViewItemQQptZWedding_Dresses?hash=item48374a953e&_trksid=p3911.c0.m14

Post # 16
1011 posts
Bumble bee

A couple of weeks ago, we were volunteering at a thrift store that benefits a women’s home.  They had a great selection of wedding dresses (about 2 dozen).  One of my sister’s friends bought her dress there for $30 (it was marked $50, but they were having a sale).  It was a Watters & Watters, apparently a sample because it still had the tags on it but had a few rips in the tulle.  However, the bride decided she could add pick-ups (plus it was too long).  Couldn’t beat the price!

The topic ‘What to do when your dress budget is *ahem* $300’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors