(Closed) what to do with 200 wine glasses etched w/ wrong date.

posted 10 years ago in Favors
Post # 3
72 posts
Worker bee

There are glassblowing studios that from time to time offer classes. I would suggest breaking, melting and blowing the glasses into useful pieces. Possibly even letting your friend join in and turning it into an interesting story. You could blow centerpiece vases for your reception. If you are near Boston contact Diablo Glass and explain your situation.

Post # 4
44 posts
Newbee
  • Wedding: July 2008

Are your names on them? If not, I’d try selling them on ebay or posting them in the classifieds!

Post # 5
596 posts
Busy bee

are you sure your friend was the one who made the mistake?  maybe it was the company that etched the glasses that messed up.  in that case, they should re-etch 200 new glasses for you!

Post # 6
60 posts
Worker bee
  • Wedding: December 1969

It’s labor intensive, but you could cover the entire glass with etching, but leave blank a new area with your date or whatever. Reverse-etching, if you will.

Post # 7
129 posts
Blushing bee

I’d also make sure that the error was in your friend’s court. Check the email or order form or whatever. 

Businesses make mistakes. I received a box of chaircovers 1 full year before the date I was due to receive them, the company slipped up and apologized and made the situation right once I let them know that they’d made the mistake.

Otherwise, I’d maybe get those rub on transfers and do the year with those. Very few people will notice that the 9 actually covers an 8. 

Post # 8
2292 posts
Buzzing bee

I agree that first you should check and make sure the error was your friend’s – maybe you can get the glasses remade.  And if not, honestly, I would just send them to the Goodwill.  You didn’t pay for them – why should you spend your time and energy trying to make them right?  If you’re not comfortable with this, because your names are on the glasses or something, then take them to recycle.  I can’t believe that your friend actually gave them to you with the wrong date on them – she should have taken care of this herself, before you ever saw them.

Post # 9
156 posts
Blushing bee
  • Wedding: October 2010

If you can’t etch the glasses, you can always just use them as candle holders in your wedding reception.  And if someone does notice the wrong date, I’m pretty sure it won’t be such a big deal

Post # 10
228 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: May 2018

You need to let your friend know you more then likely won’t be using them for anything considering the date is wrong. Ask her to check the invoice and see if the company is at fault and if they can make new ones not you. I agree with other commenters, she should have fixed this issue before she gave them to you. 

Post # 12
2007 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: September 2009

I really like the idea of using them as candle holders or something similar.  (Love this one in particular: http://www.save-on-crafts.com/wincanlamfro.html)  If you want to etch over the 2008 that would work well too.  I don’t think anybody’s going to be looking that closely. 

Post # 14
367 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: September 2008

Be careful with the shades though because when you light the candle inside, the glow will make the names and dates show up on the lampshade. It’s a cool effect if you’re planning on it, but it will be basically making the names and wrong date larger and more visible.

Post # 15
236 posts
Helper bee

Just make sure the candle is higher than the date. This will be easy if date is ont he bottom. Or you can use etching liquid and a little contact paper to create a flourish over the date portion.

I think she whould contact the company though and say that this was not what she had ordered. It’s worht atry, they may at least give her a discount.

The topic ‘what to do with 200 wine glasses etched w/ wrong date.’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors