- 8 years ago
- Wedding: March 2011
Just curious, for those farther along or done, what took the most time in your planning process?
I am marrying March 19th 2011, and I am starting school again this Monday …….things will be really hectic from here on out for us. I have adult ADD and I struggle and get overwhelmed easy so I am trying to be proactive and get stuff done early.
Here’s what I have done so far:
- save the dates are sent (all but one)
- ceremony venue booked and deposit paid
- reception venue booked (no deposit necessary, it’s a restaurant)
- DIY printable invites purchased (includes rsvp cards, enevelopes)
- champagne flutes purchased (not a priority but they were cheap)
- Flower girl basket and favor bags purchased (same as above)
- My dress is bought/paid for an on it’s way to me (ebay) as well as crinoline
- Purchased jacket to wear with dress outside.. hasn’t arrived yet but if it fits fine then that is done
- Headpiece to make my birdcage veil is purchased
- My shoes are purchased but not ready because I’m dying them
- FI’s suit is purchased/complete, as are accessories
- wedding album/guest book purchased (one of those all in one deals)
- our lodging for the week in Iowa is reserved, sending deposit tomorrow
- photographer is booked but she’s sort of a friend, so nothing in writing yet
- gift registries set up (is 2 enough?)
- wedding website pretty much complete
- researched several hotels/B&Bs for guests and added info to website
Here’s what has to be done, lots of it broken down so some tasks are minor:
- Airfare purchased to get to Iowa (this is huge, but I can’t do it yet because we are planning on flying SW and they aren’t booking that far ahead yet, plus I’m watching for specials)
- Rental car for week in Iowa needs to be arranged
- Undergarment for my dress needs to be purchased, plus stockings
- Order stuff to dye my shoes with, look for buttons to replace the ones it has
- Work out reception at restaurant menu options: can’t do this until later as their menu is seasonal. Also need to work out drink options for drink “tickets” based on price.
- Flower girl (daughter) needs dress, won’t do that until Jan or Feb since her size is unpredictable. Ditto her shoes
- My sons need suits. Same as above; too soon to buy now I think. Oldest wants to lose weight, 12 year old will probably get taller on me.
- FI’s suit needs minor alteration
- Favors are selected, but need to be purchased
- Cake! Having hell of a time arranging this since we are out of state and the town we’re marrying in is SMALL. Not many options without paying delivery fee which is okay but still finding this aspect hard to research long distance
- Need to research boarding options for our dog for while we’re gone. We have 2 dogs, but one is mildly aggressive and neighbor won’t watch him but will watch the other! (dont’ blame her!)
- My dress will need alterations for fit, bustle, and sweetheart neckline
- Need to select purchase wedding night lingerie
- Need to purchase rings (they’re selected, just not bought)
- Not doing anything about flowers until we get to Iowa and will do DIY supermarket flower bouquet and bouts
- Need to order ribbon to use for flowers
- Officiant not yet totally selected. Have one in mind but he is SLOW on answering emails.
- Ceremony details, order, vows, readings, and all ceremony elements are NO where near figured out. Just a bunch of saved ideas in Word right now.
- No idea if we need to do anything about transportation for guests, because we don’t know if they’ll be renting cars or not. We will have a rental (minivan) and can do some of this ourselves but not sure if we can do all.
- I want to touch up one tattoo and finish another (both are visible with my dress on). 🙂
- Need to decide on reception seating, placecards or not
- Need card box or cage or whatever is easisest to transport to Iowa
- invites need to be printed, text decided on
- need to make my veil
- need to decide on and buy aisle runner
- need to make sure we have enough luggage for all of us and extra for all the stuff that we are taking with us
- need pen(s) for guest book
- If we’re going to add to the restaurant decor (not sure yet) then that stuff needs to be purchased. maybe some Mexican paper flowers, some extra candles for the tables, and a papel picado for the party room (a wedding one).
- Need to get marriage license. We can do by mail with a notary (yay!!) but can’t do it too soon because it is only good for six months.
- Anything we should do extra for all our guests? Out of Town bags?
- Oh and this is another HUGE one: Fiance is planning on a legal name change BEFORE the wedding. really need to get on that so I can try to change mine to hers after the wedding hopefully without going to court over it.
Not even considering honeymoon stuff as if we do it it won’t be until June and we aren’t sure if we have the money or not.
Okay so that looks horrible and long and stressful and I’m sure I’m forgetting stuff! I am really so glad that we don’t have a “bridal party” per se. Dirty Delete will be flower girl, younger son ring bearer, older son will play guitar for my walk song. I’m sure if we had a traditional bridal party it would be a much longer list!
SO, that’s it. I am wondering what you bees think will take the most time out of what we have left to do… I tend to underestimate stuff and think “oh that will be easy”… but I think that the ceremony details will be the biggest task out of all of this on the list. Maybe I’m totally wrong?