(Closed) What type of proposal did you want?

posted 7 years ago in Proposals
  • poll: What type of proposal do/did you want?
    Public : (13 votes)
    7 %
    Private : (107 votes)
    61 %
    Family included : (6 votes)
    3 %
    Friends included : (1 votes)
    1 %
    I want EVERYONE there! Flash mob and all! Let's have a parade! : (9 votes)
    5 %
    Didn't care as long as he just asked! : (40 votes)
    23 %
  • Post # 47
    3339 posts
    Sugar bee
    • Wedding: April 2013 - Rhode Island

I absolutely did NOT want family there!

I felt so much pressure to react a certain way if there were onlookers.  It actually really stressed me out.  I was sooo grateful when DH finally popped the question when it was just the two of us.  Then we got to go tell everyone together and see the looks on their faces, and I really preferred it this way.

Post # 48
    1953 posts
    Buzzing bee
    • Wedding: October 2013

I just wanted a proposal, I didn’t care how. I like our story though 🙂

Post # 49
    6506 posts
    Bee Keeper

I am not sure if I ever thought about what type of proposal I wanted. If I had, it would probably have been something simple and intimate — just the two of us at a favorite restaurant. I think my husband had something planned at the time, but it never quite happened.

We went together to pick up the ring and, as we were going down the stairs to leave the jeweler’s, he stopped me and proposed right there. He told me he couldn’t wait even one moment longer. Me, two steps above the landing … him down on one knee … in a cold gray stairwell that echoed with the sounds of doors slamming a few floors above us. Not picture-perfect, and definitely NOT what I would have ever imagined. But you know what? It was PERFECT. I still remember the words he said. And I still tear up thinking about it, even 20+ years later.

(DH and I have been married for 15 years, but together as a couple for 23 …)

Post # 50
    799 posts
    Busy bee

He proposed where we first met 8 years ago. We’ve only been dating for 5 years, but we consider that place our place. He takes me back there once or twice a year to reminisce. We get coffee at the starbucks there and walk around all the shops. He bough my ring at a jeweler in the area so it was perfect. 

Post # 51
    368 posts
    Helper bee
    • Wedding: November 2000

@GiantJelly:  

Before I met my husband, it never occurred to me to get married. All that stuff about “every little girl dreams of…” is hog-wash! So, I never thought about/wanted a proposal. And one never happened!

We discussed marriage in an on-going conversation, decided it was for us, and did it. Proposals aren’t necessary, and I’m delighted to have avoided one all together! (thought I realise I’m in the smallest of minorities on this!)

Post # 52
    Hostess
    8574 posts
    Bumble Beekeeper
    • Wedding: October 2014

Private & Intimate

I’m not into big & flashy.. in fact, I get anxiety from social situations.. I’m glad he thought about that before proposing in front of ALOT of people.

Post # 53
    1409 posts
    Bumble bee
    • Wedding: June 2014

I didn’t think about it much, but I had a private one and I think, for us, it was better that way. For the most part PDA isn’t his style, and I liked having time, just the two of us, to enjoy it 🙂 Besides, I figure the wedding will be public.

But I had requested that he get down on one knee and propose with a surprise ring (we ended up agreeing it would be just a stand-in) in a velvet box, and he did, and the whole proposal was perfect. Plus, because it was during a trip, that weekend we were able to celebrate with close family that lives 400 miles away from us!

Post # 54
    555 posts
    Busy bee
    • Wedding: March 2016

@GiantJelly:  Private all the way! I’m not good with large social situations, haha. He proposed perfectly, (even though, for a while I was sad that it was so casual, #firstworldproblems) in our bedroom. Can’t get much more private

Post # 55
    1988 posts
    Buzzing bee

View original reply
    @BrandNewBride:  that pic is too adorable! it’s awesome how someone proposing gets all the other guys smiling!! Like yeah, you go man. Lol

Post # 56
    1245 posts
    Bumble bee
    • Wedding: October 2013

I voted private. We are both major introverts, no way anything showy or public would have happened 😉

In reality, I did not have any expectations for a proposal because all I was hoping for was a heartfelt, honest conversation about our future, and that’s what I got. We were taking a break while painting our bathroom when it happened. (We joke now that maybe it was the paint fumes, lol.)

We hadn’t really ever thought about rings, so I handed him a family heirloom ring (happened to have it lying around, always intended to get it resized) and said, “have this resized and give it back to me in whatever way makes the most sense to you.” So over a totally casual weeknight dinner at the cafe where we had our first kiss, he very quietly did just that. No down on one knee, no tears or surprises, nothing conspicuous — just a very happy moment and exactly what I wanted. 

Post # 57
    1192 posts
    Bumble bee
    • Wedding: June 2014

I wanted something semi-public. Like, in a public place, but having a private moment (kind of like the photo posted at Niagra Falls). The one thing I wanted more than anything was a photo either of it or right after. Fiance proposed in a small downtown area near where we lived at the time, in front of a lake on some rocking chairs. There were people around, but nobody noticed. I wasn’t surprised, and I didn’t get a photo. I’m happy because he asked and I love him, but I really wanted a picture to remember the moment. All we have is a photo of the lake that could’ve been taken any time.

Post # 58
    1310 posts
    Bumble bee

I don’t really care if it’s public or private as long as it’s not some huge, ostentatious display, and I really don’t want any of our friends/family there.  I just want the first few moments to be between the two of us (I don’t care about strangers), so that we can share that moment and then announce it later.

Post # 59
    4424 posts
    Honey bee
    • Wedding: December 2013

The only thing I wanted was just the two of us. I loved having such a romantic, intimate moment and sharing it together. He had originally planned something bigger, but then asked me what I saw and I told him just us. He took me to our special “spot” a the park we went to n our first day and that is where he proposed. It was intimate, emotional, and perfect.

Post # 60
    679 posts
    Busy bee
    • Wedding: October 2014

I really never thought about what kind of proposal I wanted, and Fiance never asked.

The topic ‘What type of proposal did you want?’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors