Post # 1
Slight spin off from the brief makeup by “friend” post.
It got me thinking about the vendors people choose for their wedding. Which stuff did you leave for the professionals? What did you DIY? Did anyone use services of friends and family?
Professionals: DJ, venue + catering, photography, hair
– Florist! Our good friend is just starting his business so we asked him to do our wedding. We paid him of course but I do think he gave us a discount
– officiant! DHs brother married us… probably the best choice we made. He did an incredible job (not his first wedding) Darling Husband bought him a gift as payment similar to the groomsmen gifts
– invitations! my 2nd cousin has a side business for wedding invites. Used her and paid a discount.
– makeup! A coworker of mine suggested her daughter who’s a professional makeup artist. So I’m not actually sure where to place this one. I paid full price I think. I’m not sure. But she did a great job on me and 2 of my BMs
Post # 2
The only friend I hired for my wedding was hair/make-up artist. My uncle was going to perform the ceremony but had to pull out at the last minute which I think was for the best anyway as he was kind of pushing for a more religious ceremony than we wanted.
Post # 3
somathemagical : my Brother-In-Law was our officiant (but he had done a few weddings before), and I DIYd my makeup. i should have DIYd my hair because the stylist was useless. sigh. i semi-DIYd our invitations (orderedd the invitation from Minted, but did the envelope calligraphy and liner myself). everything else was pro (and i was TOTALLY happy with)
Post # 4
- Wedding: July 2017 - The Lodge at Little Seneca Creek
My friend’s husband was our officiant. My aunt is a retired hair dresser, so she did my hair. My sister did my make-up (she isn’t a professional or anything, but she’s really good at it!).
The rest we left to the professionals (venue, catering, DJ, photography, flowers, etc.). We skipped some things that we felt we didn’t need (videography, coordinator, etc.). We’re happy with all of our choices!
Post # 5
somathemagical : DIY decorations. Friend Officiant. Pros for everything else.
Post # 6
Our venue and caterer are outside professionals. Our photographer is a pro who is friend of FI’s, our DJ is a semi-pro who is our friend, and the officiant is FI’s friend. I’m doing my hair and makeup with the help of one of my close friends who is a stylist. We aren’t doing decorations and I’d rather not have flowers, but Fiance is considering personal flowers for himself, our kids, and our mothers. We are going to do our invites off Vista print or something similar.
Post # 7
somathemagical : I am not DIYing or relying on friends for anything. Not because I wouldn’t LOVE to, but because I don’t have any friends who are vendors. Also, because I am planning the wedding from a distance and only have the Friday before my Saturday wedding off, DIY seemed way too overwhelming.
I worked at a florist shop in high school, and considered DIYing simple floral centerpieces, but decided that trying to make that work with only the Friday off was going to be something I wished I paid someone to do.
This is a fun to see what others say!
Post # 8
The only non professional vendor we had was our officiant. She is my MILs best friend and did our wedding for us for free. Thankfully, as it was 400-600 for an officiant.
We did not really DIY much.
We had a professional for everything else: hair, makeup, florals, decor designer, venue, etc.
Post # 9
We had a simple backyard wedding and I DIYed as much as I could.
Pro: Photographer, Officiant, caterer (AMAZING taco bar from Qdoba), wedding cake
DIY: save the dates, invitations, flower arrangements, bouquets, boutonnieres, favors, signage, wedding advise cards in lieu of a guest book, decorations, fruit cheese and veggie trays, husband brewed beer
Family: Cupcakes, hair/make-up
Post # 10
Pro: food, photographer, officiant, invitations, violinist at ceremony
Family: hair, cake
DIY: flowers, music on Spotify
We paid $$ for the stuff we found important or difficult to do ourselves. We weren’t too fussed about flowers or reception music, so we just did them ourselves.
Post # 11
Here is mine –
Dress – Dress Designer – getting this made
Shoes – bought online
Hair/ Make up – professionals at home for four bridesmaids & I
Cake – outsourced through a cake shop however my sister might be making some sugar flowers for the top.
Video – hired videographer
Photos – we have a friend who is a photographer
Flowers – getting bouquets & button holes done by florist. Getting hair flowers & table flowers from wholesaler & doing ourselves. Bought all the cut crystal vases myself either through department stores or ebay site
Music – we have a friend who is a DJ but we are supplying the songs
Lolly Station – Doing ourselves, buying jars & cousin is making family cupcakes
Food – our reception venue & alcohol
officant – through the church
Invites – through professionals but very simple/ classic. We wax sealed the invites ourselves
Post # 12
- Our pastor was our officiant
- Photography was done by an acquaintance who is a professional, and we paid her full price.
- Bouquets were provided by a friend’s florist shop. (This store customarily will provide stems and space for bridal parties to do their own bouquets, but my friend made them for us as a gift. 🙂
- Save the dates and invitations were ordered on Etsy and printed at Staples
- Favors (hot chocolate mix in little boxes)
- All the ceremony and reception decor
- My makeup and bridesmaids’ hair
- We self-catered
- Some help with collecting and making centerpieces
- Decorating the reception hall
- My cake was made by a dear friend who’s made many wedding cakes in the past
- My pastor’s wife did a fantastic job on my hair!
- Friends assembled and laid out/served our meal
Most weddings in my friend group are heavy on the “team effort” department, and I love that! I’ve helped with five weddings and had so much support for mine!
Post # 13
bethio : love the team effort!!! What a great idea 🙂
jessiebear85 : Great mix!
alo530 : oh family made cake? That’s awesome.
sunniegarden : I’d love to see the DIY! I wanted to diy stuff but it didn’t turn out well. It seemed better in my head. Haha. I’m not very crafty.
dreamreve1 : family/friend officiants ate my favorite wedding trend!
ctbxbee : DIY or friends would be hard for destination!
psyche1978 : awesome community of friends for your wedding!
Post # 14
We used a bit of a mix now that I think of it.
Professionals: venue + catering, band, florist, makeup artist, hair stylist, photography, celebrant, transportation
DIY: save the dates + invitations (ordered through Vistaprint/Wedding Paper Divas, assembled and had addressed by me), non floral decor (seating chart, signs, placecards), bathroom boxes
Friends/Family: cake (my sister is a pastry chef so made our cake for us), MC (we asked DH’s Brother-In-Law if he would do this for us)