- 3 years ago
- Wedding: September 2017 - Mississauga Convention Centre
I had no signs it was a huge surprise
I had no signs it was a huge surprise
We had multiple conversations about our timelines and expectations.
The week of, he hinted that he went “shopping for something special” and was actually super weird and nervous that day. The ended up being the day he bought the ring. Then he was super weird and adamant that I comer over for dinner the next night.
sdarrach25 : My husband started rubbing my ring finger ALL THE TIME. It was funny because I’m sure he didn’t notice he was doing it but I sure did. We had already discussed that we wanted to get married but he also started mentioning possible venues and other people’s weddings (what he liked, what he didn’t, etc). The final big clue was we were cuddling and he was checking his bank account on his phone. I happened to glance over and say several thousand dollars in a savings account that had always been empty. So I figured he had cashed something out and the only reason would be to buy a ring. I was right.
We designed a ring together and he ordered it! Now waiting for the actual proposal.
We went ring shopping for his brother.
His brother was going to propose in the New Year, and was going to be in our neck of the woods for it. He sent my (now DH) on a mission to scope out a nice solitaire that he could pick up when they were visiting.
Honestly, I was so awkward about the whole thing, not wanting to assume that my Boyfriend or Best Friend was also trying to figure out my preferences, that I’m not sure he got many opinions out of me in that trip, but it did make me start thinking.
A little while later he asked for my ring size. And then, a maddening amount of nothing. About four months’ worth. And I thought, well, maybe he’s changed his mind?
And then he proposed. 🙂 Just waiting for the perfect hike and moment.
sdarrach25 : I really wish I knew… I was on the look out for ANYTHING and I was still totally blindsided. Sneaky bugger.
Here’s a list of what I missed though 😉
– Him disappearing in town to go order my ring from the jewellers. He said he’d meet me in a shop when I was done looking at clothes. I went to the shop and looked ALL around. Couldn’t find him. Was about to text him when I suddenly saw him. Turns out I got to the shop before him haha
– Him taking 30 minutes to go to the toilet. We were meeting up with my parents for Dinner and then going to the cinema (although not with them) and he told me to go up to the restaurant while he went to the toilet. I did, met my parents and told them he’d be up in a minute. I got a lame excuse of “there was a queue” which I didn’t even QUESTION lmao. He was picking up the ring and stashing it in my glovebox! He’d pinched the spare key and everything!
– Him suggesting we go to London for the Weekend.
– Him suggesting we go for a MEAL in London when we went for the weekend. Told him we wouldn’t have time before the Harry Potter studio tour and the film screening. So my pre-engagement meal was chicken nuggets.
– He drew down some money from his shares account.
– He suggested I get my hair and nails done. Like seriously, how did I miss that one?!
He’s not very good at keeping secrets but he thinks he is which is adorable. The obvious signs were:
1- I was measuring him for his graduation suit (we were graduating college soon and buying a suit online) when we finished we were sitting around and he started comparing our finger sizes using the measuring tape.
2- There was a rumor that a professor of ours was going to propose with a giant $10k ring, I said that’s ridiculous for a ring. One of our close mutual friends brought it up when we were on our way home asking me what kind of rings I like, I said something small and simple, not sure because I never really thought of a specific ring. I found out later our friend went with him to find a ring
3- Then when he was showing me something on his Facebook some ring ads showed up, I figured Facebook brought it up due to his demographics. He proposed two months later :p oh and the ring is perfect.
The topic ‘What were your "signs" that a proposal was coming?’ is closed to new replies.