Post # 197
I don’t really argue with people, but I will discuss my opinions in great depth to people who will listen.
- War is wrong. Period. Nothing makes me more sad than when a fellow Christian goes on and on about how we need to bomb such and such country. That’s probably one of the least Christian things you could ever say
- I think young men and women in our country are brainwashed into thinking that war is a good and honorable thing. I think when they come back from it, they realize just how immoral it is, and that is why their suicide/PTSD/Depression rates are so high
- I don’t believe in gay-rights, or civil-right or women’s rights. I believe in rights. I think they are something that every individual is born with, regardless of what our government says. You don’t have to fight for gay-rights; they already have them, we should be fighting for the government to recognize those rights.
- I don’t believe the government should have any say in marriage at all, and I don’t believe the government should chose to give people different benefits based on their marital status.
- If you believe that a woman has the right to an abortion based on the fact that it is her own body, and then you believe in the death penalty, forced sterilization, or forced vaccinations; I do not understand you. That makes zero sense to me, and weakens the argument so much.
- I do not believe that science and religion are at war with one another. I hate when people imply that just because you are religious, that you are an idiot.
- I think that all drugs should be legalized, but that does not mean that I support drug use.
- I believe that prostitution should be legalized, but that does not mean that I support prostitution.
- I believe that people with mental illnesses should be protected, and not called horrible names.
- I believe every human being has the right to be treated with dignity, regardless of their past.
Post # 198
Not in any particular order:
1. Religion. Accept each other and move on. Nobody’s is “RIGHT!”
2. Politics. I love Ralph Nader and Noam Chompsky. Say what you will.
3. Religion in politics…I thought this was supposed to be seperate…….
4. Animal cruelty. I treat animals better than humans sometimes (it’s a problem!)
6. Honey Boo Boo. Why is ignorance in this country rewarded?!?!
7. Gay Rights. Everyone should have equal rights. This goes with #3.
8. Women’s Rights
9. Being call a “close minded liberal”…
10. Our failing education system. (Pair this with crappy parenting, and you’ve got Honey Boo Boo’s running around all over the place).
Post # 199
- Wedding: August 2013 - Rosehill Community Center
I typically don’t argue heatedly, but I do usually make my opinions known when it has to do with equality and intolerence in general.
The other day I was in line at a Wendy’s, and a cute couple in front of me was speaking Spanish I think. Well, the line wasn’t moving at all (ugh), but after like 5 minutes, the old dude behind me actually told them to speak English, because “this is America,” to which the Spanish-speaking guy said “oh, we know how to speak English” politely. The old dude then kept saying they should go home to their country if they weren’t going to respect the language in America, and respect our country, and on and on. I’m am KICKING MYSELF for not speaking up and pointing out that he was denying them freedom of speech, one of the rights laid out for everyone in this country. I mean, come on, dude. You that worried that they are talking about you? Are you offended by them just speaking? Or are you just intolerant? Ugh, but no, I didn’t say a thing (DAMMIT!) and instead left after a couple more minutes because it (“it” being the line and the horrible guy) was so ridiculous.
I also tend to argue against institutionalized religion and evangilism and preachiness and stuff. I strongly believe in the idea of “live and let live”: so long as others’ actions and lives aren’t actually harming you or your life, no need to worry about it.
And I argue that the Sounders are the BEST SOCCER TEAM IN THE MLS. Done.
Post # 200
Honestly there isn’t much as far as topics go that I will argue to death about, it is usually just a waste of breath so I don’t bother saying anything. I prefer to the the strong silent type, as for example I am not going to bother arguing with a religious person about why I choose not to be religous, their views will never change no matter what I say so why bother saying anything at all. All in all though I think Hypocites are probably my biggest anger, whether I say anything about it or not.
Post # 201
@allyfally: how was I being rude? This thread is about things people have strong opinions about. I have strong feelings about animal cruelty and welfare. Please don’t mistake your defensiveness for me attacking you or trying to offend you. It’s fine if you disagree with me. I disagree with plenty of other opinions in this thread. However, calling me stupid (as pp did) is personally attacking me and offensive.
Post # 202
Chalk another up for animal population control – spay and neutering saves lives 🙂
Post # 203
I will argue and bitch endlessly about people TEXTING while in the MIDDLE of a CONVERSATION with another person who is there in the flesh! I feel that it’s so rude– I really think, unless you are expecting an important phone call, there is no good reason to pay MORE attention to someone connected to you by a wireless network, especially when texting, than the person right in front of you. Aagh! I have had that done to me a couple times lately, by people who are sort of friends, and it drives me crazy. One of them is a cute guy I’m trying not to crush on, so it’s good that he did that to me– makes him a LOT less attractive!
Also, abortion/family planning, and big fat polluting corporations.
Post # 204
Im a cashier, and seeing all the people NOT SPEAKING ENGLISH and cannot speak enough english to me to tell me they want paper bags, and they buy $300 worth of food…with WELFARE/govt funds. And they do not have a job. I see that way too much. Um, speak MY leanguage before you spend MY tax dollars.
I know wayy too many natural born American citizens who have disabilities, retired American veterans who cant get $50/month, just to help out a little, but these people get more than I make in a week to feed one person, then they buy 2 cartons of cigarettes. If you can afford $200 worth of tabocco every week, you can pay for your own fucking food.
Post # 205
@CountryRose: People have been eating meat since cave men did. Humans NEED protein and iron, you eat animals without being cruel.
Post # 206
@Liss13: Not that I necessarily disagree with you, but as a vegetarian, I can tell you that I get PLENTY of protien and iron. Just sayin… 🙂
Post # 207
I am still apprehensive of touching a piece of Chick-fil-A chicken, even after ceasing funding toward anti-gay movements. I live in the shiny-ass buckle of the almighty Bible belt and on Chick-fil-A Day, our store sold out of chicken at 3pm! I love AND support my gay friends, and I love my Lord. I will argue that literal Old Testament interpretation of the Bible is bullhockey all the way to my grave.
Post # 208
@Creiddylad: Yes! I was just at dinner with a friend I hadn’t seen in ages and she had her phone in her lap and was looking down and texting half the time. I was appalled not only that she was doing that, but that she didn’t seem to think it was rude!
Post # 209
@Creiddylad: I agree 110% on every issue you mentioned! I must add, nothing makes me feel lousier than meeting a friend for lunch, one whom I haven’t seen in ages, and then catching her texting the WHOLE TIME. Grrrrrr!
Post # 210
@Liss13: “Im a cashier, and seeing all the people NOT SPEAKING ENGLISH and cannot speak enough english to me to tell me they want paper bags, and they buy $300 worth of food…with WELFARE/govt funds. And they do not have a job. I see that way too much. Um, speak MY leanguage before you spend MY tax dollars.”
Can I…um…well. “Im” is not a word, nor is “leanguage”. Further, we do not have a national language.
Post # 211
@peachacid: +1 The language you speak does not make you more or less deserving of anything, and the United States does not have a national language!