I remember things that are ‘different’. A lot of weddings I’ve been to all seem very similar to me, so anything that is different (good or bad) will be remembered. This obviously varies from wedding to wedding.
So, for example, I remember:
1) the wedding I went to in France (which was in a cathedral, followed by a Chateau, a 7 course meal with games and singing between each course and went on until 4am). Nothing like any other wedding I’ve been to. It was amazing.
2) the wedding where the bride was over an hour late (really annoying as it was in the middle of a working day and I had to get back to work).
3) the wedding where we weren’t told that they weren’t serving a proper meal in advance, so everyone was starving.
4) the wedding where half the guests were Scottish and the couple had hired a famous Ceilidh band. The best ceilidh ever!
5) the wedding where the bride and groom did a choreographed jive for their First Dance. A bad choice because it was impossible to do in a huge wedding dress. Actually, I remember most choreographed first dances as they are mostly awful (only seen one good one).
6) the wedding where the FOB made me cry with his beautiful speech.
7) the TWO weddings where the FOB’s speech involved saying how hard marriage is and why they divorced the MOB. Cringe, cringe, cringe.
8) the wedding where I hardly knew the bride, but she spent at least 10 minutes chatting to me and my group of friends (all on the groom’s side), welcoming us. She made us feel like we’d made her day by coming! She was so sweet and made all her guests feel really special.
9) the wedding where the couple decided to force everyone to ‘mingle’ during dinner so seated everyone on tables with no-one they knew. Hated that. I just wanted to sit and catch up with my friends (who I hadn’t seen for ages)
10) the one where I was invited to the ceremony and party, but not the dinner. Wouldn’t have been a problem as that’s not uncommon here, but dinner overran and so all the guests like me were left standing outside in the rain for close to an hour.
11) the one in a castle in winter where I kept my coat on for the ENTIRE day because it was freezing cold.
I usually remember the wedding dress.
I tried to learn from these things and apply/avoid for my own wedding!