(Closed) What would you call this type of frosting?

posted 10 years ago in Food
Post # 3
37 posts
  • Wedding: September 2012

Is it butter cream?

Post # 4
209 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: June 2012

tell them you don’t want fondant but you want styled buttercream maybe? 

Post # 5
2022 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: July 2012

I don’t know all the terminology, but I would say “regular cream frosting instead of fondant.”

Fondant cakes look like this, more of the stiff, flat look:


Post # 6
945 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: September 2011

Textured buttercream and show them photos of what you want.  I’m doing the same thing.  I just told my baker that I wanted “messy” buttercream.

Post # 7
2025 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: March 2012

I agree with pps–that’s textured buttercream.  Just email her your favorite inspiration pics–the effects aren’t hard, but you’ve got to choose one.

Post # 8
1713 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: December 2011

I love that whipped buttercream look! =)

And I personally think they always taste better too!

Post # 10
1776 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: May 2011

Homespun! It’s what we did! 🙂

Post # 11
2402 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: February 2010

it could be buttercream. my cake baker said she could get the smooth look with it, it doesn’t have to show the knife marks if you don’t want them (but I do think the textured look is nice too). 

for my cake, she is going to form the flowers with fondant and somehow stick them to the buttercream.

I was told that fondant is not delicious. not gross, but nothing special, flavor wise. like a sheet of plain sugar. the reaosn people use fondant is so they can get really interesting detail and perfect finishes.

I opted for flavor over beauty, but it sounds like my cake person can do both!


Post # 12
1223 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: June 2011

I would tell her it’s spatula spread buttercream 🙂

Definitely get pictures to her – they really do speak a thousand words.

Good luck! 

Post # 14
1223 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: June 2011

@TankGirl:  Yeah, jsut show her one and she’ll know.  I was a pastry chef for a long time and sometimes girls would go on and on and I wouldn’t really ‘get’ what they were saying… then I’d see ONE picture and slap my forehead it was so obvious 🙂

Post # 16
716 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: September 2009 - City Hall

Yeah, show her the pics!! That way you’ll help ensure to get exactly what you want, designwise. Pretty sure that style is whipped buttercream (or meringue, but I think buttercream).

The topic ‘What would you call this type of frosting?’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors