(Closed) What would you do?

posted 6 years ago in Honeymoons
Post # 3
467 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: April 2013

I think it’s something between you, your fiance and your parents. If they’re comfortable taking the baby for two weeks and you’re comfortable leaving him/her with them, I really don’t see the problem. I wouldn’t consider it selfish.

Post # 4
761 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: August 2011

I don’t think you’re being selfish at all.  I think that many new parents don’t realize that its important to prioritize time for themselves, as well as time for their kids. A proper honeymoon with your husband is a great opportunity to build a solid foundation for your relationship.

What you MAY want to consider, though, is leaving the baby with your parents for a weekend first, to see how you react to being away from the baby for a few days.  If you’re not comfortable with it, then you’ll know that you can’t do the honeymoon without baby.

I think you’re going to have to wait until baby arrives to make a decision that you’re going to feel comfortable with.

Good luck!

Post # 5
8472 posts
Bumble Beekeeper
  • Wedding: July 2012

I wouldn’t bring the baby so young like that.

Post # 6
456 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: October 2012

I dont think its selfish at all. It would be sooooo difficult to travel with a small baby. i have many neices and nephews, bothers and sisters. So I am very familiar with children and traveling. It woul be physically hard on them, they need lots of rest and would be uncomfortable on the plane, and in places for long times where they couldn’t play. Babies need constant attention and to me, it would acutally be more responsible to let someone watch them than put them through a two week vacation at such a young age. She/He would possibly cry a lot if not able to play. And what about nice dinners? Also not a great idea for a 4 month old. If your parents are cool with it, definitely allow them to watch the baby. It will be hard for you, but you will have the rest of your lives to spend with the baby and your parents will be able to bond with him/her as well during the two weeks.

A honey moon is something that only happens once in a lifetime. You will thank yourself for going and will be refreshed and happy to be home afterwards and take care of your new baby  🙂

Post # 7
205 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: February 2013

This post made me laugh because when I was pregnant I was talking about doing all sorts of things when my daughter was born and leaving her with my mom all the time…by the time she came along I didn’t want to leave her for more than a few hours, it’s hard to understand until they are born but I’m willing to bet that if you decide to leave your child that young for two weeks that you will be regretting it about one day in 🙂

Post # 8
1778 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: August 2010

For me it would depend on a few things… Where is the honeymoon? Do you plan to breastfeed? What are the policies of the location of the honeymoon? How do YOU feel about it? (if you are feeling guilty just thinking about it, that might be telling).  How will you handle it if your baby has trouble re-bonding with you after the separation?

Yes some of that is personal, but they are neccessary factors to think about.

Maybe it is possible to get some kind of travel credit and just do a 1 week honeymoon instead of 2 weeks?

Post # 10
1778 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: August 2010

I think you have your answer!  If you feel okay with it, then go for it and enjoy your honeymoon!  It may be a good idea like previous posters said to let the baby stay with your parents for a weekend or even just over night before hand, just to make sure they are up for it. 

Have a wonderful honeymoon and good luck with everything!

Post # 11
887 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: June 2013

If you are not planning to breastfeed and your parents are fine with it, I don’t see any issue with it. But like an above commenter said, there is a really good chance that you just will not be ok with leaving your baby with anyone else for even a night, let alone 2 weeks! It really depends on your baby’s personality and whether they are ok with being with someone who isn’t you. You should definitely try it out for a weekend before the trip and just be flexible when you are making your travel plans so that you can incorporate the baby into the plans if you do decide to take him/her with you in the end. 

Post # 12
214 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: August 2013

I have travelled with a small baby, not as young as yours, but still under a year. I found it more stressful for me than for them. It was tough to carry everything they need. But being that the baby is so young I can see why it may be hard to leave them. I personally couldn’t.

However. This is meant to be a break for you an Fiance, post all the wedding stress. You might be better served to do what @Happy2bMrs:  said. Leave with your mum for a weekend and see how you feel.

Since the baby isn’t here yet, it is easy to make plans. By the time baby comes regardless of what you plan. You may be able prise yourself away and then again…. You may not. I would suggest making this a family holiday and maybe booking an actual honeymoon for your first anniversary or something.

Post # 13
12973 posts
Honey Beekeeper
  • Wedding: November 1999

Most cruises have age restrictions for babies – and I’m pretty sure its 6 months or older.  So, you may not really have a choice in leaving the baby with your parents if the cruise line won’t let you bring one that young!

Post # 14
1030 posts
Bumble bee

I don’t think it’s selfish at all. My parents have told us they’ll look after our children (when we have them) for a week every year so we can go off on holiday without them and have ‘us time’.

THAT SAID – do you think you’ll be able to leave your baby for that long? Obviously i have no experience, but friends of mine who even just come back to work cry their first day because they can’t bare to be away from their child.

I definintlely think you should do a trial run first when baby is born. You might find you’d rather not go on your honeymoon than be without the little one for a whole week!

Post # 15
1304 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: September 2011

Sorry, but I think it is really selfish for a mom to leave a 4mo for two weeks just so she can go on vacation, especially in a circumstance where you are unable to rush back if something goes wrong.  In my opinion, your only choices are: (1) go on the cruise while you are still pregnant (2) take the baby with you and as a compromise maybe try to find a babysitter to watch the baby for a few hours here and there (3) take a shorter, more local trip (4) skip the trip.  If you decide on (2) then you may have to reschedule for a more baby-friendly trip.

Welcome to parenthood, where it’s not all about you anymore.

Post # 16
701 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: January 2004

take it with out! leave your child at home!! they will be fine with GP!! ejoy your time!!!

The topic ‘What would you do?’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors