(Closed) What would you do?

posted 5 years ago in The Lounge
  • poll: Here is what I, the stranger to Peachacid, would do...
    Take a break from playing, but remain the fundraising chair. : (20 votes)
    65 %
    Take a break from the team altogether, and resign fundraising chair. : (2 votes)
    6 %
    Play -- it's good exercise, and you do like it. Also stay chair. : (5 votes)
    16 %
    Some other option you haven't thought of. : (1 votes)
    3 %
    The X-Files will always be there for you, weirdo. : (3 votes)
    10 %
  • Post # 3
    6360 posts
    Bee Keeper

Fundraise for them, and find another sport/exercise to do that is more appropriate for where you are now in life.

Post # 4
    8042 posts
    Bumble Beekeeper
    • Wedding: December 2013

@peachacid:  I’d say stick it out until after the wedding (for the exercise), but I hadn’t thought of the losing teeth (my SO lost a few) or getting bruises and/or cuts aspect. Maybe you should stay on as fundraising chair (good for resume!) and find another form of exercise that you enjoy more.

If you don’t think you’ll get any better then it might be time to try something less frustrating.

Post # 5
    7174 posts
    Busy Beekeeper

@peachacid:  I would stop playing and stay connected as the fundraising chair.

Post # 7
    4275 posts
    Honey bee
    • Wedding: April 2012

I would find some other way to work out that dosn’t upset me.

Post # 8
    1423 posts
    Bumble bee
    • Wedding: May 2009

I’m a little confused — did you play last year AND the year before, or did you only play one season?  If you only played one season, it might be worth giving it another shot, especially since you have special position on the team.  You might like it more this year.  If you played a couple of seasons, and didn’t enjoy any of them, it sounds like a good reaon to quit, if you can find someone to take your fundraising position.  If not maybe just stick out one last year — it doesn’t sound like you dislike it that much.  You keep saying you don’t want to quit.

Post # 10
    2227 posts
    Buzzing bee
    • Wedding: January 2012

Maybe it’s the rugger in me but I would stick around, play until 2 weeks before the wedding & keep doing the fundraising. It sounds like a lot of your worries are normal for someone who hasn’t played in a while. Joining a new team usually means learning new patterns of play and positioning; it’s ok to feel a little out of place, especially out on the wing where you can HEAR your coach freaking out. There’s an obvious learning curve considering the level of competition you guys are in but I think in terms of fitness and skill improvement, you’ll be where you need to be soon. I mean, from the sounds of it, you’ve got the basics. You just need a bit of bravado!

Are you meshing well with the personalities on the team? I know from experience that some people can be absolutely toxic to teambuilding (there are several individuals that come to mind). If this is the only team in your area I’d strongly encourage you to stick with it. Those types of people come and go, but I’ve met some of my closest friends through my club. If there are other teams around that you feel you’d mesh better with, it might be worth looking into.

With that in mind, I’d still strongly encourage you to stay involved in fundraising for the remainder of the year. It’s an amazing way to give back and the club will be greatful (again, I really sympathise!)

I’ve got to tell you though; I’m super biased; been playing for my same club for 7 years, and worked my way up from fixtures secretary to president. I’m overly very involved in the sport and I always have an interest in keeping people playing (unless their injured, of course!) and active in the community.

I hope this helps 🙂

Post # 11
    1423 posts
    Bumble bee
    • Wedding: May 2009

@peachacid:  It’s okay to be a quitter if you don’t enjoy something!  There are lots of other good ways to get exercise and lots of other team sports you can take up that might be more enjoyable.  Life is too short.

Post # 13
    2227 posts
    Buzzing bee
    • Wedding: January 2012

@peachacid:  Ughh!! It makes me so angry that this is is happening to you! Unfortunately, I think given the team chemistry & coaching staff, the only way to make your experience enjoyable is to have a couple of close ties on the team. 🙁

There were a couple of seasons where i went through exactly what you’re going through and the only thing that kept me going were those friends (3). We had all joined at the same time and were about the same age.

I really hope it works out, but from what your describing, the odds are really stacked against it. 🙁

Post # 15
    1722 posts
    Bumble bee
    • Wedding: July 2015

Is there possibly a less competitive team you could join?  I think if you keep playing even though you aren’t having fun you will get burnt out really easily.  I’ve played soccer my whole life and then stopped for year when I was 19 because I was so frustrated and it wasn’t fun anymore.  I hated not playing but I couldn’t go back to all the stress.  I found a team that practices once a week and plays an outdoor and indoor game on Sundays, it doesn’t take much time out of my schedule but I still get to play the sport I love without all the stress because even though we want to win we are all adults just playing for fun so if we loose we move on and have more fun the next week.  I would really try to find a way to play that won’t be as stressful, playing a sport you love can be a great release if you are on the right team.

The topic ‘What would you do?’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors