(Closed) what would you do?

posted 5 years ago in Etiquette
  • poll: would you do absolutely everything possible to make it to your best friend's wedding?
    Call in sick : (3 votes)
    17 %
    Go to work they should have thought it through a little better : (11 votes)
    61 %
    quit and live off of your parents : (0 votes)
    other comment below : (4 votes)
    22 %
  • Post # 2
    9527 posts
    Buzzing Beekeeper

Can you switch shifts with someone who is off that weekend? 

Post # 4
    Hostess
    7556 posts
    Bumble Beekeeper
    • Wedding: January 2013

I would ask around at work to see if there was anything you could do to get off. I wouldn’t be dishonest though, their wedding is a one time event and you’ll likely need this job afterward.

Post # 5
    217 posts
    Helper bee
    • Wedding: September 2015

Calling in sick wouldn’t be an option for me. It’s WAY too easy to get caught–are you friends with any coworkers on Facebook? I can guarantee you will be tagged in stuff for a Vegas wedding weekend and your coworkers will not be pleased. I saw pictures once of a coworker on a weekend trip after I had to work a double since he was “sick” and while I didn’t tell my boss, you bet your ass I never did ANYTHING nice for him again…even though I probably would have said yes to covering the shift if he had asked. So, you never know if your coworkers will have a soft spot for weddings and do you a favor!

Post # 6
    128 posts
    Blushing bee
    • Wedding: August 2015

I would be totally up front at work. “My best friends are getting married in two weeks. They JUST announced this. i really want to go. If I switch shifts with you 2 times of your choosing, would you do it for me this once?”

Post # 7
    3244 posts
    Sugar bee
    • Wedding: May 2014

I would switch shifts and BEG people to do it for you. And obv switch shifts with them in future

• This reply was modified 4 years, 8 months ago by  Yipeebee.
    Post # 9
    136 posts
    Blushing bee
    • Wedding: April 2015

I agree, I would ask to switch shifts and beg.  Maybe they can bring in someone else you aren’t aware of.  If I was your collegue, I would switch shifts for a good reason like this. 

Post # 10
    1214 posts
    Bumble bee
    • Wedding: September 2015

Quit and live off your parents! Haha. In all seriousness, I agree with PPs. Beg and plead for someone to switch you. I’d switch for someone in this situation. Don’t call in. You never know when you are actually going to need your sick days and it’s super early in the year. On top of that, yeah, you will be tagged in Vegas on Facebook. Guaranteed.

Post # 11
    9760 posts
    Buzzing Beekeeper
    • Wedding: April 2019

I picked ‘go to work they should have planned it a little better’ as it was the closest to my opinion. BUT I only agree with the first part, not the second. It is their wedding, they get to choose the date that works best for THEM. If the couple (at any wedding not just this one), picked the date to meet the guests’ availability, they wouldn’t have any options for dates! 

However I like PPs’ suggestion of switching if possible. If not, go to work, your friends should understand, especially given the short notice!

Post # 13
    9760 posts
    Buzzing Beekeeper
    • Wedding: April 2019

vanessa1359:  ok if she told you to call in sick, that’s out of line and unfair to you!

The topic ‘what would you do?’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors