What would you do?

posted 2 years ago in Family
Post # 2
4830 posts
Honey bee
  • Wedding: June 2014

darkwater67 :  How does your dad feel about it?  What does he want?

Post # 3
1460 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: October 2016

I would not rush it because he might not walk, but if there was a serious chance that he would die, I’d go ahead and do it. 

Post # 4
Hostess
8509 posts
Bumble Beekeeper
  • Wedding: Dorset, UK

darkwater67 :  I would be asking my Dad what he wanted but if the odds of survival were not so good I would get married with him there. Positive thoughts for your Dad’s surgery.

Post # 5
713 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: June 2017

darkwater67 :  Honestly, I probably would.  A simple, small, immediate family only kind of ceremony.  I am the only daughter of my parents, and I know that walking me down the aisle is something that’s really important to my dad (and to me as well), and I couldn’t imagine that never happening.  I’m not sure if this is a hypothetical question or if it’s the situation you’re in, but my condolences if it is, bee.

Post # 6
77 posts
Worker bee
  • Wedding: October 2017

100% I would. You can always have another wedding down the line and call it a renewal and marriage celebration. 

Post # 7
799 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: September 2015

Speak to your dad first. 

If there’s a chance he may not be able to walk you and that’s something you both want then I would consider a small intimate wedding. 

Post # 8
1883 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: September 2014

If it were potentially lifethreatening, I’d marry ASAP. I wouldn’t risk not having my dad at my wedding.

Post # 9
1755 posts
Buzzing bee

I would not. I’m very close to my dad, but he would not want me to rearrange anything for him. I would be bummed if he couldn’t walk me down the aisle, but it would be what he wanted. It depends on what your dad wants.

Post # 11
691 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: June 2018

My dad is my person. If there were a chance he wouldn’t make it to my wedding, I would absolutely move it up. No question at all. 

Post # 12
4830 posts
Honey bee
  • Wedding: June 2014

darkwater67 :  Now that you have said a bit more about the situation – for which I am deeply sorry, and wish the very best to your dad – I do think a wedding scheduled pre-surgery is a great idea.  How soon will the rings be in?  Could you have stand-in rings if the surgery is sooner than the ring arrival?  

Post # 13
299 posts
Helper bee

I would have a small family wedding now and then a reception party later.   I’m sorry that you’ve been put in this situation,  it’s something no one wants to ever have to think about.  And I can’t even imagine how difficult this is for you and your family.   If you’re still not sure then I would let him in on the plan and see what he thinks about doing an early wedding.   I just wouldn’t want you to regret not having the chance to celebrate with him.   If he doesn’t want to do an early wedding at least see if he’ll do something special with you and your Fiance to celebrate.   You’ll be in my thoughts! 

Post # 15
108 posts
Blushing bee
  • Wedding: July 2017

As someone who is getting married in July & lost their Dad a few years ago-I would say 1000% yes. 

Leave a comment

Find Amazing Vendors