What would you do?

posted 1 month ago in Beehive
Post # 4
1577 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: August 2018 - Location

Get in early tomorrow morning, before John. Talk to your boss in private and casually “remind” him/her that you had to drive John home yesterday because of his drinking, and you are concerned.

They should be able to handle the rest. It’s illegal to show up to work drunk, not to mention DRIVE!

Post # 5
4824 posts
Honey bee
  • Wedding: January 2017

Maybe John needs to be caught drunk driving to give him a wake up call.

Post # 6
47187 posts
Honey Beekeeper
  • Wedding: November 1999

The employer has obviously forgotten that they have a huge liability issue if they let someone drive  after a work sponsored event where alcohol is consumed. I would speak directly to your boss to suggest that alternate plans be made for next year to protect the company from such risk: shuttles, gift cards or codes for taxis or Uber.

You did a good thing, but you also put yourself at risk being alone with a drunk both in your car and in his home.

Post # 7
244 posts
Helper bee

lifeisbeeutiful :  I definitely agree he needs a wake up call, but him getting “caught drunk driving” next time could be after he’s killed someone or himself from this behavior. I think it needs to be addressed far before he gets behind the wheel after drinking again.

OP, definitely have a conversation with your boss. The company could be liable for him driving home after a work sponsored event with alcohol, not to mention he;s shown up drunk to work… he clearly needs a lot of help, and that may have to start with disciplinary action from work.

Post # 8
351 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: October 2018

It was a work function. Your company would be liable for allowing him to drive home drunk, if he did. By law, at least where I’m from, the company is responsible for getting him a cab or providing safe transportation. 

I would not say anything nor get involved. They witnessed it. 

Post # 9
Hostess
8536 posts
Bumble Beekeeper
  • Wedding: Dorset, UK

sweetiemermaid :  Speak to your boss in person. The boss should have dealt with it immediately and sent John home. Well done for making sure he didn’t drink drive home. 

Leave a comment

Find Amazing Vendors