What would you do?

posted 1 month ago in TTC
Post # 2
2799 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: June 2017

This is a tough one bee, how old are you and your husband?

Personally, Darling Husband and I had originally set a (very loose) timeline to TTC next month, but as the time approached I definitely didn’t feel ready yet. Then we booked a trip to the carribean which pushes our TTC timeline back to April 2020, which I am feeling a lot better about. Although I think we are relatively young to TTC (27/26) so we are in no rush. So long story short, we did push back TTC partially for a trip but because of the Zika risk, not because of drinking. If I felt super ready I don’t think I would postpone 6+ months just to be able to drink on a vacation, but if you are fairly young with lots of time to start a family then you could wait and turn it into a baby-makeation 😉 

Post # 3
269 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: July 2017

You’re not selfish for wanting to drink lol I don’t think anyone would think that but anyways..this is really up to you. You could get pregnant right away or it can take you 6 months. I think if you really want baby start trying but if you rather be able to drink on this trip hold off? You could always get mocktails if you’re pregnant on your trip and fancy drinks without alcohol 

Post # 4
480 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: August 2014

I think there are more factors than just being able to drink, and it’s totally fair to want to enjoy your vacation. Depending how far along you were, you might be super nauseous or exhausted, might have trouble sleeping or weird pain (I started getting bad hip pain at night around 16 weeks with my first, had to haul a big memory foam thing along to sleep anytime we stayed anywhere different 🙄). If you genuinely aren’t anxious to get pregnant now, and don’t have any major factors working against you on the outset (age, chronic illness or known fertility concerns, etc) then I’d say why not wait. If you are going somewhere with awesome drink options then all the more reason (I went to Seattle a few years ago, pre kids, and it would have been sad to miss out on the craft beer scene)

Post # 5
190 posts
Blushing bee

i’d probably just keep going forward with TTC.  there will always be some trip, or wedding, or holiday etc where you may want to be able to drink alcohol, so delaying it for that reason will always result in additional delay.   

Post # 6
528 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: June 2017

So, as the mom of 3 kids, I’d enjoy the trip as you’d planned, and then pull the goalie.  I’ve vacationed plenty while pregnant- and it’s fine, but honestly, depending on how pregnant you might be- you might feel miserable, you might be on bedrest, you might not want to do anything- or of course, you might feel like a million bucks- but until you’re actually pregnant, you won’t know.  Unless you’re quickly approaching an age where fertility comes into question (I had all of my kids very late in life so I get it), then I’d enjoy the trip and the cocktails.  Also, once you have children, trips with friends and trips in general take on a very different vibe (not bad, just different)- so I’d embrace what you’ve planned.  Have fun!

Post # 7
14965 posts
Honey Beekeeper
  • Wedding: June 2011

How old are you?   Like 25? I’d definitely wait. 40? Start ttc now. 

Post # 8
Hostess
8725 posts
Bumble Beekeeper
  • Wedding: Dorset, UK

Whilst there will always be something, a wedding, Christmas etc where it would be nice to drink and celebrate with everyone else, this trip does sound like your last big blow out (regardless of drinking, but socially) so I can see why you are hesitant. One thing to consider is you might feel pretty rough whilst pregnant so you may want to factor that is. 

The problem is you don’t know how long it will take to get pregnant. Do you want to be sat here this time next year wishing you had started sooner? 

Post # 9
6599 posts
Bee Keeper
  • Wedding: September 2015

kmbumbee190618 :  I don’t think anyone can make this decision besides you.  For me, I was very eager to get pregnant as soon as we could.  We hit a lot of bumps in the road during our TTC process, which makes me happy we started trying sooner than planned.

But drinking on a trip with friends also isn’t super important to me, not that it’s bad that it is for you!  You do you, girl.

Post # 10
994 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: October 2015

We had a trip earlier this year and ended up being 5 weeks pregnant, I tested right before the trip as a safety precaution because we just didn’t know since we were not actively trying to not get pregnant with baby #2. I did obstain from drinking and it wasnt terrible, my husband did drink some but since we also have our daughter with us it was worth not getting drunk. Just test prior to the trip (I tested 3 days prior and cleared with my doctor due to the country) order virgin drinks if you do have a bun in the oven and enjoy yourself. 

Post # 12
1850 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: July 2015

kmbumbee190618 :  Pregnancy is super inconvenient no matter when you decide to do it.  Not being able to drink is really the least annoying thing about pregnancy, in my opinion.  Personally, to me, a couple alcoholic beverages would not be worth delaying your life plans for 6+ months, but it’s your life and you get to decide what is important to you.  I just don’t happen to value drinking that much. I decided to wait to TTC my second until after a big Disney trip, because I wanted to be able to ride on the rides with my daughter.

But like I said, imagine yourself possibly exhausted or feeling sick all day.  Imagine yourself possibly having complications and not being allowed to travel.  Imagine yourself possibly needing medical care while on the trip.  Tons of people travel and have a great time while pregnant, but you do have to be prepared for the reality that it isn’t that way for everyone.  There really isn’t a wrong choice.  If you do TTC, I would probably aim for being in the second trimester on the trip.  The first trimester is unpleasant for a lot of people.

Post # 15
6599 posts
Bee Keeper
  • Wedding: September 2015

kmbumbee190618 :  That’s definitely hard!  The month I found out I was pregnant was the month pumpkin beer was released for the year… I cursed it a bit through the fall, but in the end, it wasn’t really THAT important to me. lol. Maybe this is your way of saying, “I think I want to wait just a bit longer”?

If this were my decision, I would probably just want to make sure I was in my first or second trimester if I was going to be pregnant at all.  The first trimester blows, but at least you’re not pushing the trip up until the end of your pregnancy.

Leave a comment

Find Amazing Vendors