What would you do?

posted 1 month ago in TTC
Post # 16
604 posts
Busy bee

I think you’re thinking about it too much. If I were you, I would just keep NTNP for now and seriously start TTC when you return from your trip if you aren’t already pregnant by then. If you aren’t able to drink on your trip, you probably won’t really care in the end when you look back on the trip memories down the road. Also I’m sure they would make you some amazing virgin beverages. 🙂 Good luck!

Post # 17
Hostess
8723 posts
Bumble Beekeeper
  • Wedding: Dorset, UK

kmbumbee190618 :  ha ha! Life is tough sometimes isn’t it! I am currently 15 weeks pregnant ( Darling Husband and I are a fair bit older than you) and whilst I am over the moon and currently don’t miss drinking – and I LOVE MY WINE, if I had a big trip like yours coming up I would have considered that. We are actually off to Germany for three days soon and my husband joked that I won’t be able to have any lovely german beer or mulled wine and I cried! ha ha pesky hormones. 

By The Way, I don’t think it is selfish at all to feel like this, as you said, it will be you that will be missing out. If your husband gave up drinking when you got pregnant would he still be bang up for this trip or would he be feeling a little sore? 

Post # 18
368 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: July 2019

OP, it kind of sounds like it isn’t just the drinking that you would worry about missing.  As PP have said, you really never know how you will feel until you are pregnant.  If you can wait, I would, and go and have a wonderful time!!  Like you said, if you end up pregnant beforehand, go and have a great time as much as your pregnancy will allow.  I don’t think it is selfish to want to be fully present during your trip.

Post # 19
6828 posts
Busy Beekeeper

IMO 6 months to wait at your age isn’t that much. If you were vacationing 3x a year consistently it might be different, but if this is your last hurrah for a while, you want to enjoy it and not feel like crap or have to watch what you’re eating/drinking. 

Post # 20
1972 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: October 2017

kmbumbee190618 :  I think it depends how important being able to drink on the trip vs being pregnant now is to you. For me, we delayed TTC to go on a trip to a theme park, because pregnant women can’t ride a lot of their rides and coasters. I know a lot of people who would have prioritized TTC over that trip, but I thought it was important to have that last blowout trip first, and prioritized it. I would not have prioritized being able to drink on a trip over TTC, but that’s just me. Drinking isn’t something important to me, and you never know how long TTC will take. 

Post # 23
2384 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: July 2018

kmbumbee190618 :  If you guys are ready to be parents now, I would go ahead and TTC now.  If it ends up taking a long time (6+ months is totally normal, not even considering actual infertility issues), I bet you would really regret waiting for an extra 6-8 months or whatever it is. *IF* you are really ready and excited to be parents.  If it’s like, meh, take it or leave it for now, that’s different.

I definitely like to throw back some drinks and have fun with friends, so I totally get it.  But once you’re pregnant, being sober really isn’t so bad.  You get used to it and you still have a lot of fun.  My husband and i went to Portugal when I was 8-9 weeks pregnant (pre-planned trip), and while I would have loved nothing more than to drink delicious and inexpensive European wine all day, I still had a blast.  Not being pregnant when you want to be is much, much worse.

Post # 24
429 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: May 2019 - York, ME

kmbumbee190618 :  My hubby and I are headed to Kauai for our honeymoon this week, and I’m 13 weeks pregnant. I do love my wine, and I like drinking on vacation so I’m a little bummed to not be able to have anything this trip! I just need to remind myself that it doesn’t alst forever, and vacations won’t be the same for a LONG time. 

However, I have been suprised though at how much I don’t miss drinking!  I’ve quit drinking for months at a time due to medication, and I would always feel a little bitter about it, and miss having a glass of wine while taking a bath or cooking dinner.  I think you just have to feel ready and know you’re going into a time of your life where you’ll be making a lot of sacrifices.

Post # 25
483 posts
Helper bee

I would probably hold off on trying to get pregnant until after the trip. If this is the last trip you’re planning on for a while, I think waiting until after is fine. 

Post # 27
1254 posts
Bumble bee

I would wait to TTC for the big trip. But then I’m a big drinker so lol…

Seriously though, if (god forbid) you have a miscarriage or otherwise need medical attention while overseas that could be problematic depending on what your travel insurance is like. Not to mention you’d probably not feel great overall. But also, not sure where you’re going but there will be a whole lot of stuff you won’t be able to eat too, oysters, sashimi, steak that is not well cooked through, anything not freshly cooked (eg a sandwich from the display),  cold meat, soft cheese, anywhere that looks a bit low on cleanliness standards you gotta be careful as food poisoning would be serious if you’re pregnant. 

Theres a lot to be careful about when you’re pregnant and that might detract from this trip. 

I would wait because of your age, and that this is the last big trip you have planned (I assume pre-baby). If you’re gonna have problems, you’re gonna have problems whether now or in 6 months time. Again being late 20s I don’t think it’s that big a deal, if you were early 30s I would say start now.

You can use this period of time to also track your BBT, get to know your body and your cycle well, so when you’re ready to try, you know when is the best timing.

Post # 29
2614 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: December 2017 - Courthouse

I don’t drink at all so take this with a grain of salt but like PPs have said, there’s always some occasion or event that comes up in the midst of ttc. 

Personally, I would not put off ttc for a trip like that. It sounds like you would be able to do almost everything else involved. And like I said, I don’t drink but I’d love to go bar hopping with my hubby and just order fun virgin drinks and Dear Daughter if I had to. 

Is there a way you can make a compromise? Like can you have a similar weekend trip before then that centers around drinking and going out so if you happen to get pregnant before that trip you’ve already had a “last hurrah” so to speak? 

Either way, everyone is different and you should listen to your gut 🙂 

Post # 30
160 posts
Blushing bee
  • Wedding: September 2017

kmbumbee190618 :  As someone who is a type A planner, does 2-3 big trips a year and loves to enjoy some wine or gin on weekends and of course on trips, I would personally start actively TTC now. I am in the opposite situation as you where we have been actively TTC for 5 months now and we planned a trip to Bermuda (leaving this week) to avoid Zika in the hopes that I would be pregnant by now on the vacation. Well, as it turns out, I’ll be able to drink in Bermuda finally because I’m still not pregnant. We also want to plan a big trip for the spring, but will wait a bit closer to the date to see what happens. It can happen right away or it can take a very long time. If you end up pregnant before, I’m sure you will be super happy either way and won’t mind not drinking and if you aren’t pregnant, well then drink it up! 

Leave a comment

Find Amazing Vendors