What would you do?

posted 2 weeks ago in TTC
Post # 31
517 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: October 2019

I’d TTC now, but I am the designated driver a lot and have no problem going out and having a great time with mocktails. Getting tipsy and drunk wouldn’t make my vacation more enjoyable and not being able to get tipsy or drunk wouldn’t ruin it. Obviously if it’s a trip to Napa or Vegas is alcohol centered but I could still enjoy both trips sober. Then again I go on vacation a lot. 

I think it’s really personal preference. If I was mid or early 20’s I’d probably wait but I’m late 20’s and want more than one kid and don’t want them super close together and would prefer to be done before 40.

Post # 32
119 posts
Blushing bee
  • Wedding: April 2017

i would wait. You’re likely never going to have a trip like this again – everything changes with children and by the time you have a chance to do a similar sort of trip everything and everyone will have changed and moved on. You’re young so it’s not like you’ve only got a year or two to conceive.

Post # 33
2212 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: July 2018

kmbumbee190618 :   Also didn’t even think about eating restrictions and what I would be craving or have aversions too as well… it would stink to not be in the mood to try new foods while we visit.

Most women in their first trimester feel pretty queasy much of the time and are definitely not into trying new and interesting foods.  It’s more like, eat everything in sight, of the limited number of things that you can stand.  So if the trip would have a big focus on foodie stuff, you might hold off.

Post # 34
14947 posts
Honey Beekeeper
  • Wedding: June 2011

With the updates, I’d just wait and start TTC on the trip.  But that’s also what we did.  We got married a July, then the following year did two big trips and decided to TTC on the second one (Italy – all the WINEs!!!) the following September (just before I turned 33).  And we ended having to deal with infertility and it took 5 years, 3 months to become pregnant with my son.  Did waiting that extra year end up matter?  Not really, I don’t regret waiting at all.  In the long run, that year is nothing now.  And since it did take so long, that trip didn’t end up being the last hurrah… we did many more amazing trips while trying as little consolation prize trips so when I look back at the TTC years, I can reminice more on the trips than how much the TTC/infertility roller coaster sucked.

Post # 35
724 posts
Busy bee

Given your ages and the fact that you haven’t disclosed any reason to suspect fertility issues, I think I would wait. Also because you said you don’t get the opportunity to do big trips. I think I would start trying on the trip 🙂 And maybe skip the NTNP phase and go straight to TTC. 

Post # 36
92 posts
Worker bee
  • Wedding: September 2017 - River Museum & Aquarium

Where are you going? Sometimes there are different travel advisories for pregnant/possibly pregnant/wanting to become pregnant women (ie zika endemic zones). Or certain immunzations are recommended before travel and some of those are live viruses which are contraindicated for pregnancy and you would have to postpone TTC for one month after receiving said vaccines. 

Post # 37
6445 posts
Bee Keeper
  • Wedding: February 1997

Really, only you can answer this question. WHEN in the spring is the vacation? If it is April, that is seven months away, so that’s delaying things quite a bit, actually. Are you currently NTNP? If so, how long has that been the case? Regardless, if you have no reason to suspect infertility of any sort, and you’re willing to push your timeline back over half a year, then wait. The real question is whether you want a carefree vacation or a baby within a year. Only you can answer which means more to you at this point.

Post # 38
18 posts
Newbee
  • Wedding: July 2015

Darling Husband and I just had our last trip in September before TTC. We wanted to wait. We went to Colorado and spent the whole time hiking, rock climbing, going to breweries, and sitting in a hot tub. It was amazing. I was bummed at first that we were waiting because I was antsy to TTC but I’m so so so happy we waited because I loved it trip so much! If you don’t mind waiting, go on this trip and live it up!!

Post # 39
252 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: June 2019

There is no right answer! I am older than you and at a point where I want a baby above anything else, so I would go for it. You never know how long it can take you to get pregnant. On the other hand, the reason I’m so old and only ttc-ing now is because I spent years prioritizing trips, my career, etc. Only you can say what’s right for you!

Post # 40
57 posts
Worker bee

I would personally wait, and really take the opportunity to consciously enjoy the last few months of non-parenthood. It’s true that you may have problems conceiving, but I dare say the odds are on your side, and you’re still young. I say this as someone who a) have a toddler plus a baby on the way, b) enjoy a drink and to travel (and those experiences will change once you have kids, as PPs have mentioned!) and c) don’t travel well whilst pregnant. 🙂 

I was 7 weeks along in this pregnancy this summer when we went on a sunny holiday, and it was pretty miserable – I had daily bleeding and felt nauseous and tired the whole time. No regrets now but at the time I wished we’d waited! 

Post # 43
3741 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: November 2019 - City, State

I personally would postpone. For me, I’m worried about how sick I’ll be when pregnant (I’m super sensitive to hormone changes) and if I’m sick and traveling, I wouldn’t enjoy it at all. Plus, it’s a special opportunity to take a friends trip and check out some cool bars, which let’s face it, wont be AS fun if you cant drink. 6 months in the grand scheme of things isn’t too crazy. It’s great that your husband is supporting you in the decision, but it would be tough to be the one who has to make the decision knowing he’s ready now. EEK!

Leave a comment

Find Amazing Vendors