(Closed) What would you do – ideal career job interview coming up & pregnant….

posted 6 years ago in Career
  • poll: Do I tell them at the job interview that I am pregnant?
    Yes - you should tell them : (11 votes)
    16 %
    No - it is your right not to say anything until you get hired : (53 votes)
    78 %
    Other - explain below : (4 votes)
    6 %
  • Post # 3
    13096 posts
    Honey Beekeeper
    • Wedding: July 2010

I wouldn’t tell them.  They don’t need that knowledge in any way, shape, or form to make their hiring decision about you.

Once you have an offer, then you can let them know.

Post # 4
    2232 posts
    Buzzing bee
    • Wedding: September 2012

I would not tell them at all. I realize you think it’s sneaky but really it’s none of their business. They should have hired you in November! haha

Good luck!

Post # 5
    2559 posts
    Sugar bee
    • Wedding: September 2010

Legally, I don’t think it’s required of you to volunteer that information, and they’re not supposed to take that into account during the hiring process (although I’m sure they do).

However, with the amount of time many women take off for drs appts, etc, and then maternity leave, I’d feel a little guilty not telling a potential employer that I’d be taking a large chunk of time out in the next 6 mo. From an employer’s perspective, they spend all that time getting you into the swing of things just for you to duck out temporarily, and that sucks.

So I don’t really know what I’d do… probably tell them straight up your situation, discuss benefits like mat leave, and leave it all on the table so my conscience would feel right about it. That’s not likely to be the popular view though.

Post # 6
    1352 posts
    Bumble bee
    • Wedding: April 2012

I think you should tell them, they will find out shortly after you start and you don’t want them thinking you are dishonest.  I know it’s your right not to say but if it was me I would tell them, your pregnancy is something wonderful to be celebrated not hidden! 

Post # 7
    1659 posts
    Bumble bee
    • Wedding: July 2012

Tell them after they’ve made you an offer. They can’t rescind the offer based on your pregnancy. You might not be eligible for FMLA benefits though, so see if you can work that time off into your offer.

Post # 8
    2559 posts
    Sugar bee

@MrsPom:  and you don’t want them thinking you are dishonest.

That too!

Post # 11
    13096 posts
    Honey Beekeeper

@MrsPom:  “you don’t want them thinking you are dishonest”

It isn’t dishonest not to tell them something that plays no bearing into their hiring decision (and if it did play a bearing, that would be illegal).

Not telling them you are pregnant is no more dishonest than not telling the interviewer that you have 2 sisters and a brother or that you had your appendix removed at age 12 or that you color your hair blonde every 6 weeks.  Those things have nothing to do with the job and interview.

Post # 12
    1543 posts
    Bumble bee

I say don’t volunteer any information, but also don’t lie, either, should the subject come up in any roundabout way. Like PPs said, even though they can’t discriminate against you because of it, it doesn’t necessarily mean that they won’t, and give another bs reason for not hiring you. As for them thinking you dishonest, pshh, just tell them very soon after you’re hired, and say that you haven’t told everyone yet, as you were waiting to be out of the woods before announcing. Whether or not you’re high risk is irrelevant, they don’t need to know that.

Post # 13
    2095 posts
    Buzzing bee
    • Wedding: September 2011

If it were me I would wait until they offered the position to tell them. I know I was denied jobs when I was pregnant previously. They can say all they want that it is not a reason to deny someone, but it is taken into account.

Post # 14
    1352 posts
    Bumble bee
    • Wedding: April 2012

@Mrs.KMM:  I disagree, none of those other things you listed will affect your job in a few months, a pregnancy will.

Post # 15
    2559 posts
    Sugar bee

@Mrs.KMM:  Not telling them you are pregnant is no more dishonest than not telling the interviewer that you have 2 sisters and a brother or that you had your appendix removed at age 12 or that you color you hair blonde every 6 weeks.  Those things have nothing to do with the job and interview.

I guess in my conscience pregnancy DOES affect your job (for time off, mat leave, benefit packages, etc) whereas those other things are completely non-related. Which is why I voted for telling them. My boss is pregnant right now (about 39 weeks) and I feel like I haven’t seen her consistently in weeks due to all the things she has to take care of for the baby!

I hope the OP gets the job either way – this is a tough economy.

Post # 16
    13096 posts
    Honey Beekeeper

@MrsPom:  Fine – things that can affect your job that also hold no bearing to the interview (like a pregnancy).

There is no need to tell an interviewer that your mother has been diagnosed with cancer or that you have a vacation planned in 6 months where you’re going to Europe for 2 weeks.  Those will also pull you away from the job for a time but have no bearing on the interview and your capabilities of performing the job at hand.

The topic ‘What would you do – ideal career job interview coming up & pregnant….’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors